1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How incandescent light bulbs create light

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    I'm looking at how incandescent light bulbs create light in a more in depth manner, not just "filament gets hot and it glows". I want to know the actual science in an atomic level.

I have been researching through books and the internet, and have yet to come to a conclusion whether the light from a tungsten incandescent light bulb comes from:

a) The current passing through with a high voltage gives energy to electrons to jump to a higher energy level, and drops back down to ground state, spontaneously emitting photons (visible light).

or

b) Incandescence, simply due to the high temperature, which meant that the tungsten radiates some visible light instead of only infrared.

or

c) Both?

I am really confused by all these information, some saying it's (a), some say it's (b).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A continuous spectrum;
    A line spectrum; which makes sense?

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3
    So are you saying it's both? Both are responsible for producing light?

Thanks a lot I really appreciate your reply.

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you see any hint of a line spectrum from an incandescent lamp? Compare it to a CFL --- look at them alongside one another through beveled glass.

6. Sep 25, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

No. He's asking you what you think the spectrum of light looks like.

Consider this quote from the FAQ https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-photons-move-slower-in-a-solid-medium.511177/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Sep 25, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Both would be responsible to some degree, but incandescence is overwhelmingly dominant in a light bulb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook