How many ways can I go up some steps?

• Thread starter Paulo Serrano
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different ways a person can go up a staircase with 7 steps, including skipping steps and using Fibonacci numbers. The solution involves using a recurrence relation and summing the number of ways to climb smaller steps. However, the use of Fibonacci numbers may not be accurate in this scenario.
Paulo Serrano

Homework Statement

A person can go up one step at a time, skip a step at a time, or skip two steps at a time, with the exception of the final step, which obviously you can only go one step up.

a) Calculate the different ways someone can up up a staircase with 7 steps.
b) Calculate the number of steps in the staircase if the total number of ways I can go up it is N=987

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
With only 7 steps, I think a case-wise solution may be quicker.

This was from the test to major in physics/engineering from Rio De Janeiro Federal University last year. The answer sheet says you have to use Fibonacci numbers. I have no idea what those are or how they work, so I'm going to read about them on wikipedia.

if someone can give me a summary of how it works, though, I'd appreciate it.

Fibonacci numbers are numbers form a sequence of numbers, the first 2 are
f(0) = 0 and f(1) = 1 and the rest is computed by f(n) = f(n-1) + f(n-2).
This is called a recurrence relation
The numbers you'll get are related with a similar relation.

If you want to go up a staircase of n steps with n at least 3, the first step could move up 1, 2 or 3 steps. The number of ways is the sum of the number of ways to climb the smaller steps that are left.

Unfortunately, question b makes me think that the author of this problem DOES think that the numbers are from the fibonacci sequence, which is wrong. It would be right if you could move only 1 or 2 steps up at a time.

1. How many ways can I go up a certain number of steps?

The number of ways to go up a certain number of steps depends on the number of steps and the size of the steps. For example, if you have 10 steps and each step is 1 unit high, there are 10 ways to go up the steps. However, if each step is 2 units high, there are only 5 ways to go up the steps.

2. What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to go up steps?

The formula for calculating the number of ways to go up steps is n + 1, where n is the number of steps. This formula assumes that each step is 1 unit high. If the steps are of different sizes, the formula becomes n + (m - 1), where m is the size of the steps.

3. Can I use combinations or permutations to calculate the number of ways to go up steps?

Yes, you can use combinations or permutations to calculate the number of ways to go up steps. Combinations are used when the order of the steps does not matter, while permutations are used when the order does matter. For example, if you have 3 steps and each step is 1 unit high, there are 4 combinations (1+1+1, 2+1, 1+2, 3) and 6 permutations (1+1+1, 2+1, 1+2, 1+1+1, 1+2, 2+1).

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of ways to go up steps?

Yes, apart from the number and size of the steps, other factors that can affect the number of ways to go up steps include the starting and ending points, the direction of movement (up or down), and any restrictions or limitations on the movement (e.g. certain steps cannot be skipped).

5. Is there a limit to the number of steps that can be calculated?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of steps that can be calculated. However, as the number of steps increases, the time and resources required to calculate the number of ways also increase. In practical terms, it may not be feasible to calculate the number of ways for a very large number of steps.