1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much chemistry demanding particle physics is?

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    As title says, how much chemistry would I need at the beginning of university level particle physics? If I decided to study it, would the fact that I don't have chemistry in my A levels could be a problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

... None? It's particle physics, not chemistry.

ETA: I mean, obviously you need to know what a photon, proton, neutron and an electron are. You also need to know what a nucleus is. But that's strictly speaking, nuclear physics, rather than chemistry. Chemistry is orders of magnitude too "big" for particle physics.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. Dec 22, 2011 #3

cgk

Science Advisor

If you are interested in experimental physics, in particular if you plan to work on beam lines and detectors, you might want to learn some chemistry. Note that experimental equipment contains lots of stuff you are not familiar with from everyday life.
    At the very least, you need to know which materials are toxic or otherwise dangerous, and treat them accordingly. The way some physicists handle beryllium windows, for example, is absolutely mind-blowing.

5. Dec 22, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, about the thread title: you must learn to speak like Yoda not. Like it or not, you by your English people judge. Yes, hmmm.

Yes it is true that chemistry is not physics and it is not directly applicable. However, the fact that I had previously studied chemistry made certain things clearer when I was learning the physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook