How much credit would YOU have given me?

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about explaining and deriving the Hall Effect and its coefficient. The participant mentioned that they did not know the coefficient but were able to derive the Hall voltage. The teacher was described as being lenient and the participant estimated their grade on the question to be 7/10. It was a 20-point question on a final exam for a senior level solid state class. The participant also mentioned their habit of obsessing over test scores after the fact.
schattenjaeger
I had to explain the Hall Effect and derive the Hall coefficient

I didn't recall what the coeff. was but my explanation was solid and I was able to derive the Hall voltage, Vh=BI/net (t was thickness of plate, that's n and e, not the word net >_>)

I wrote that I didn't know what the coefficient was, and guessed 1/net

he's a pretty loose teacher, and getting to the voltage expression was the hard part anyways, I figure...

Physics news on Phys.org
Without more details and a better explanation of the context, I'd swag about 7/10. What did you get? Was this on a midterm, final, quiz, what? Which class at what level?

A final, so I guess I'll never know :( senior level solid state class, 20 point question, I figure 10 for the explanation, and however many he feels like giving for getting to the voltage? I know, I obsess over how I did on a test after the fact, stressful habit

1. How do you determine how much credit to give someone?

As a scientist, I follow a set of criteria and standards to evaluate the work of others. This may include the significance and originality of the research, the quality of the methodology and data analysis, and the overall contribution to the field.

2. Is there a specific amount of credit that you give for certain accomplishments?

There is no set amount of credit that is given for specific accomplishments. Each evaluation is unique and takes into account the individual's contribution and the overall impact of their work.

3. Do you consider the individual's background and experience when determining credit?

Yes, the individual's background and experience can play a role in determining credit. For example, a researcher with more experience and a proven track record may receive more credit for their work compared to someone who is just starting out in their career.

4. Can you explain the difference between credit and authorship?

Credit refers to the recognition and acknowledgement of an individual's contribution to a research project or publication. Authorship, on the other hand, refers to being listed as an author on a publication. While credit and authorship often go hand in hand, they are not always synonymous. Not all contributors may be listed as authors, and not all authors may receive equal credit for their contributions.

5. How do you handle disputes over credit among collaborators?

In cases where there may be disputes over credit among collaborators, it is important to have clear guidelines and expectations in place from the beginning. Open and honest communication among collaborators is also key in addressing and resolving any potential conflicts. Ultimately, it is up to the individual evaluating the work to make a fair and unbiased decision on how much credit to give to each contributor.