How Much Energy is Dissipated by Each Resistor in the Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter troyhagan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
troyhagan
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a circuit that has...(I will refer to each resistor as E[tex]_{}1[/tex] and E[tex]_{}2[/tex].
5V battery with two resistors.
Each resistor has 5[tex]\Omega[/tex] of resistance.
E[tex]_{}1[/tex]'s Current dissipated is 1A, E[tex]_{}2[/tex] is the same.
Voltage dissipated by E[tex]_{}1[/tex] is .2V, E[tex]_{}2[/tex] is the same.
Power dissipated by E[tex]_{}1[/tex] is .2W, E[tex]_{}2[/tex] is also .2W.

Homework Equations



I am looking for Energy dissipated by each element (E[tex]_{}1[/tex], E[tex]_{}2[/tex]) is.

The Attempt at a Solution


?? Not sure. ??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I can't imagine any circuit containing a 5V battery and two identical resistors that's capable of producing the voltage or power values you have included.

Power is just energy per unit time.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
Well, I can't imagine any circuit containing a 5V battery and two identical resistors that's capable of producing the voltage or power values you have included.

I calculated those. "/ Are they wrong?