1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much maths in a theoretical physics degree?

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    I am soon to apply for either theoretical physics, theoretical physics with maths, or joint honours - maths and physics year 1 and then transfer to theoretical physics.

Only just finished A levels and unsure of the math content in a theoretical physics degree. At the moment I am more or less certain that I am more passionate about physics, however with only A levels I do not think I am in a position to say for sure?

With the joint honours option in year 1, would I miss out on any physics and is the maths always relevant to the physics? Or does this seem like the better option as I will then be in a better position to judge how passionate I am about maths.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

I'm not sure how things work in your university but generally this would be my approach:

focus on physics, then fill up the remaining timeslots in a regular schedule with fundamental math course (but not so fundamental that they become a waste of time and money), then invest in advanced math textbooks for reference.

this is if you are primarily interested in physics, if you prefer maths then it is a whole different story...

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    I've not done a theoretical physics degree but I have done a straight physics one, and there was a hell of a lot of maths, there's no getting away from it. I can only imagine a theoretical physics degree being even heavier on the mathematics. That's not to say it won't be manageable though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook