How much pressure/force to push a mobile phone key

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how much force or pressure is required to depress a key on a mobile phone and the difficulty in finding this information online. The suggestion is made to reach out to manufacturers for this information, and the possibility of finding it in the manual is mentioned. Finally, a solution is suggested of purchasing generic buttons from companies.
James1986

Homework Statement

This isn't homework, I just can't find any information on the internet, and I don't have the neccesary equipment available to perform a test.

Just wondering if anyone knows an average amount, or at least a link to a paper that has done something as mundain as this. How much force or pressure is required to depress a key on a mobile phone?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try writing directly to various manufacturers.

Yeah, I thought about it, but I'd be shocked if they even gave my email any consideration. Plus finding the paper trail to the right person would take weeks of backwards and forwards communication.

I just hoped someone 'knew' a place where they had seen it before.

James1986 said:

Homework Statement

This isn't homework, I just can't find any information on the internet, and I don't have the neccesary equipment available to perform a test.

Just wondering if anyone knows an average amount, or at least a link to a paper that has done something as mundain as this. How much force or pressure is required to depress a key on a mobile phone?

Thanks!

MODS: Please move this thread to the EE subforum. To the submitter, that's where such non-homework questions belong.

In any case, you don't need to do studies on how much force is required to actuate a cell phone key. This varies by cell phone model (and sometimes, even within models). However, the reason you don't need to do a study (for any given model) is that every button is designed (specified) to have a certain actuation force. For instance, you can go to Omron (one of the companies that makes these things) and order membrane tactile switches that actuate with, say, 5 Newtons (or 1.12 lbs) of force.

But yeah, short of measuring this information yourself, you'd have to contact the manufacturer. That or this might be in the manual under technical specifications.

Thanks Matalab, that's exactly what I was looking for. Didn't think about companies purchasing generic buttons for their phones ^_^.

1. How much pressure should I apply when pushing a mobile phone key?

The amount of pressure you should apply when pushing a mobile phone key depends on the type of phone and its sensitivity settings. Generally, a gentle and consistent pressure is enough to register the keypress without causing any damage to the phone.

2. Can applying too much pressure damage my phone's keys?

Yes, applying excessive pressure can damage your phone's keys, especially if they are made of plastic. It can also cause the internal components to shift and potentially lead to malfunctioning keys.

3. Why do some mobile phone keys require more force to push than others?

The amount of force required to push a mobile phone key depends on its design and function. Some keys, such as the power button, may require more force to prevent accidental presses, while others, like volume buttons, may be designed to be more sensitive for easy adjustment.

4. Is there a recommended pressure for pushing mobile phone keys?

There is no specific recommended pressure for pushing mobile phone keys as it varies between devices. However, it is generally advised to apply a consistent and gentle pressure to avoid any potential damage.

5. Can I adjust the sensitivity of my phone's keys?

Yes, some phones allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the keys in the settings. If you find that your phone's keys require too much or too little pressure to function, you can adjust the sensitivity to your liking.