How Much Torque to Spin a Disk at 30,000 RPM?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bcjirvin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bcjirvin
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I'm not exactly sure if I'm posting in the right place. But I have a question about torque.

Okay so, how much torque would a motor need to supply to be able to spin a disk with a mass of 54.3 g at 30,000 RPM?

If you could also provide and explain the formula for determining torque that would be great.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bcjirvin said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I'm not exactly sure if I'm posting in the right place. But I have a question about torque.

Okay so, how much torque would a motor need to supply to be able to spin a disk with a mass of 54.3 at 30,000 RPM?

If you could also provide and explain the formula for determining torque that would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? It takes no torque to spin a disk on frictionless bearings at a constant RPM. The torque would be needed to spin the disk up from zero to final speed, and to overcome bearing friction and any air resistance involved.

Also you need units on the mass that you supplied...