How Much Voltage and Current Do I Need for 8 LEDs in Series and Parallel?

In summary, when using 8 LEDs in a series circuit, you will need at least 24 volts at 30 mA from the power supply. If using a parallel circuit, each LED will require a resistor to stabilize the current, resulting in a total current of 240 mA with 3 volts for each LED. It is recommended to use a resistor in series for both series and parallel circuits to stabilize the LED current.
ChrisToffer
If i have a LED which drops 3V, and 30mA through each LED and i need 8 LED in series.. does it mean that i need a total of 24V and 30mA from power supply or less?
And if i use the same circuit in parallel, does it mean i will use 3V but much more current like 0.24A?? or least current?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For your series circuit, I believe you would need at least 24 volts at 30 ma.

That's 720 mwatts from your source.

For parallel, 3 volts will work with 240 ma coming from source, yet each branch will get it's 30ma.

That's also 720 mwatts from your source.

Likes 1 person
ChrisToffer said:
If i have a LED which drops 3V, and 30mA through each LED and i need 8 LED in series.. does it mean that i need a total of 24V and 30mA from power supply or less?
Why less? You'll need 24V and 30mA. It is safer to use a voltage a bit above 24V together with a suitable resistor in series.

And if i use the same circuit in parallel, does it mean i will use 3V but much more current like 0.24A?? or least current?
8*30mA of course. The same advice: use a resistor in series.

Likes 1 person
LED current is highly sensitive to applied voltage and temperature.
Each parallel path will require a resistor to stabilise the current in that path.

Consider a 12.00 volt DC supply for 8 LEDs.
4 LEDs in series would give no control of current at varying temperatures.

3 LEDs and a 100 ohm resistor in each series chain would stabilise the current at 30 mA. One of the three chains will need an extra 100 ohm resistor or a hidden LED to make 8 visible LEDs total.

2 LEDs with 200 ohms in series will be less efficient than 3 LEDs with 100 ohms.

Likes 1 person

In order to determine the total voltage and current needed from the power supply, we need to first understand the behavior of LEDs in series and parallel circuits.

In a series circuit, the total voltage required is the sum of the individual voltages of each component. This means that in your case, with 8 LEDs in series, the total voltage required would be 24V (8 x 3V). However, the current remains the same throughout the circuit, so the total current needed from the power supply would still be 30mA.

In a parallel circuit, the total current is the sum of the individual currents of each component. This means that if you have 8 LEDs in parallel, the total current needed would be 240mA (8 x 30mA). The voltage needed would still be 3V, as each LED still requires 3V to operate.

In terms of which circuit would require less current from the power supply, it would depend on the specific components used. In general, a parallel circuit would require more current, but it may also be more efficient as the current is distributed among multiple components.

Additionally, it is important to note that the total voltage and current needed from the power supply will also depend on the voltage and current capabilities of the power supply itself. It is important to ensure that the power supply can provide enough voltage and current for the circuit to function properly.

In summary, when designing a circuit with LEDs, it is important to consider the behavior of LEDs in series and parallel circuits in order to determine the total voltage and current needed from the power supply.

Related to How Much Voltage and Current Do I Need for 8 LEDs in Series and Parallel?

What is the difference between LED in series and parallel?

LEDs in series are connected end-to-end, so the positive terminal of one LED is connected to the negative terminal of the next. This creates a single path for the current to flow through all the LEDs. LEDs in parallel are connected side-by-side, so each LED has its own separate path for current to flow. This means that if one LED fails in a series circuit, all the other LEDs will stop working, but in a parallel circuit, only the failed LED will be affected.

Which circuit is more efficient for LED lighting, series or parallel?

Parallel circuits are more efficient for LED lighting. In a series circuit, the voltage drops across each LED, so the last LED may not receive enough voltage to light up. This means that some of the energy is wasted. In a parallel circuit, each LED receives the full voltage, allowing for better energy utilization.

How many LEDs can be connected in series and in parallel?

The number of LEDs that can be connected in series and parallel depends on the voltage and current ratings of the LEDs and the power supply. Generally, you can connect more LEDs in parallel than in series, but it is important to check the specifications to ensure that the circuit can handle the total power draw.

What happens if I mix LEDs in series and parallel in the same circuit?

If you mix LEDs in series and parallel in the same circuit, you will have a combination circuit. This means that some LEDs will be connected in series and some in parallel. However, it is important to ensure that the total voltage and current requirements of the circuit are met, and that the LEDs are connected correctly to avoid overloading or underpowering any of the LEDs.

Can I use different colored LEDs in a series or parallel circuit?

Yes, you can use different colored LEDs in a series or parallel circuit. However, it is important to note that different colored LEDs may have different voltage and current requirements, so it is important to choose LEDs with similar specifications to ensure that they all light up properly in the circuit.