Study Maths & Physics: How to Proceed?

• Thread starter kripkrip420
  • Start date
In summary, I would suggest that people start with one of the other two books if they are not interested in doing rigorous calculus. However, if someone is looking for a more rigorous introduction to calculus, then I believe Spivak's book would be a better choice.
kripkrip420
Hello there! I will be studying Mathematics and Physics in University in approximately 2 months. I really enjoy Mathematics and have done some introductory Calculus. I have looked into Spivak's book "Calculus" and, although written very well, I just tent to find Calculus boring. However, when looking at books like Hardy's "A Course of Pure Mathematics" or Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis", I find these to be far more entertaining. Now, it is my understanding that Real Analysis is generally a more formal approach to Calculus (which I very much prefer). Is it possible to simply skip the "formalized" (from high school at least) Calculus in books like Spivak's and start an Analysis course in something like the books mentioned above. Is that a wise move or will I be missing important topics not found in Analysis books? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Despite his name, I consider Spivak's calculus to be an analysis book. At the very least, it's some kind of intro to analysis. It is far more rigorous than things like Stewart.

However, everybody likes different styles of books. It might be that you consider Spivak to be boring and Rudin to be very entertaining (although many people are exactly the other way around). In that case, I would suggest you to read the book you enjoy most.

If you start reading Rudin now, you won't miss anything important. I guess it only misses some computational exercises.

Be warned though, Rudin is quite a difficult book. It doesn't explain intuition at all. He does his proofs in the most elegant ways, and these ways are often not the most understandable. For example, while reading a proof of Rudin, you may say things like: wow, we're lucky we had this little trick otherwise the proof will not have worked.
Furthermore, the exercises of Rudin are very hard (but Spivak's exercises are also hard).

But if you feel ready for Rudin, then go for it!

For most people, even though it is boring, it is good to do some computational calculus exercises. Those give intuition and lots and lots of examples/counter examples for analysis.

micromass said:
Despite his name, I consider Spivak's calculus to be an analysis book. At the very least, it's some kind of intro to analysis. It is far more rigorous than things like Stewart.

However, everybody likes different styles of books. It might be that you consider Spivak to be boring and Rudin to be very entertaining (although many people are exactly the other way around). In that case, I would suggest you to read the book you enjoy most.

If you start reading Rudin now, you won't miss anything important. I guess it only misses some computational exercises.

Be warned though, Rudin is quite a difficult book. It doesn't explain intuition at all. He does his proofs in the most elegant ways, and these ways are often not the most understandable. For example, while reading a proof of Rudin, you may say things like: wow, we're lucky we had this little trick otherwise the proof will not have worked.
Furthermore, the exercises of Rudin are very hard (but Spivak's exercises are also hard).

But if you feel ready for Rudin, then go for it!

Thank you very much for your response Micromass. I actually started doing a lot of work in Spivak's book and the exercises are fun, there is no question. However, as soon as I opened Hardy's or Rudin's books, I just find the building of the Real numbers and the introductions to Set Theory so exciting. Personally, I feel that some of the problems in Spivak's book are too computational (although the first chapter had a lot of what I consider to be Number Theory problems which I also find extremely fun). The lack of intuitive approach in Rudin's books does not really bother me. If I ever find myself not totally grasping a concept, I rarely stick to the book I'm reading to find a solution. Rather, I go online and look at articles or videos regarding such a concept. I then dwell on it in my bed for some time until something "clicks". I will likely keep moving through Spivak's book but I will also be working through Rudin's or Hardy's simultaneously simply because I find it adrenaline pumping (like when I found out that there are infinite sets that vary in size through "Introductory Real Analysis" by the two Russian authors). Regardless, thank you both for your responses.

Hello there! It's great to hear that you will be studying Mathematics and Physics soon. Both of these subjects are highly interconnected and can provide a solid foundation for a career in science.

Regarding your question about skipping the "formalized" Calculus in books like Spivak's and starting with Real Analysis, it is definitely possible. Real Analysis is a more rigorous and formal approach to Calculus, as you mentioned, and it can be a more enjoyable and interesting way to learn the subject. However, it is important to note that Calculus is a crucial foundation for Real Analysis, so it is important not to completely skip over it.

I would recommend reviewing the fundamental concepts and techniques of Calculus before diving into Real Analysis. This will ensure that you have a strong understanding of the basics before moving on to more advanced topics. Additionally, it is always helpful to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals when studying more complex subjects.

As for the books you mentioned, Hardy's "A Course of Pure Mathematics" and Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" are both excellent resources for learning Real Analysis. They are highly regarded in the mathematical community and cover a wide range of topics. However, it is important to supplement your learning with other resources and practice problems to fully grasp the material.

In summary, it is possible to skip the "formalized" Calculus and start with Real Analysis, but it is important to review the fundamentals first. Additionally, using multiple resources and practicing problems will help solidify your understanding of the material. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are the benefits of studying maths and physics?

Studying maths and physics can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and enhance quantitative reasoning. It also opens up career opportunities in various fields such as engineering, finance, and research.

2. What are some tips for studying maths and physics effectively?

Some tips for studying maths and physics include practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and staying organized with notes and study materials.

3. How do I decide which level of maths and physics to study?

It is important to assess your current knowledge and skill level in maths and physics to determine the appropriate level of study. Consult with your teachers or advisors for guidance, and also consider your future academic or career goals.

4. Is it necessary to study both maths and physics or can I choose one?

It is not necessary to study both subjects, but they complement each other and can provide a well-rounded understanding of scientific principles. However, if you have a specific career or academic path in mind, you may choose to focus on one subject over the other.

5. What resources are available for studying maths and physics?

There are many resources available for studying maths and physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your school or university may also offer additional resources such as tutoring services or academic support centers.