How Should Negative Improvement Be Recorded in Pre-Post Test Data Analysis?

• Thread starter craig100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to record and interpret data from an experiment measuring improvement in two groups of subjects. They are questioning whether to record the improvement as a negative number or simply zero and whether it is appropriate to represent improvement as a negative percentage. They also express concern about using t-tests with small sample sizes.
craig100
Hello There,

I'm after a little advice; I have data collected during experimentation that was designed to determine the improvement of two groups of subjects between a pre and a post-test. The results are as follows:
Pre & Post test numbers represent the number of errors made
Group 1:
Code:
Pre|Post|Improvement
0	0	0
1	0	1
5	4	1
12	0	12
2	0	2
7	6	1
0	0	0
13	0	13

Group 2:
Code:
Pre|Post|Improvement
0	1	-1
2	0	2
1	0	1
0	0	0
0	11	-11
5	23	-18

I'm applying the t-test to determine if there is a statistical difference between the means(of the improvement columns).

My question is really simple(hopefully)... in group 2, should I be recording improvement as a negative number? or simply zero?

Using zero will not give me a significant statistical difference between the means of group 1 and group 2... using the negative numbers does.

Also, if I'm keeping the negative improvement numbers, is it okay to represent improvement as a negative percentage?

I've not done much with statistics, so would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Craig.

Physics news on Phys.org
craig100 said:
Hello There,

I'm after a little advice; I have data collected during experimentation that was designed to determine the improvement of two groups of subjects between a pre and a post-test. The results are as follows:
Pre & Post test numbers represent the number of errors made
Group 1:
Code:
Pre|Post|Improvement
0	0	0
1	0	1
5	4	1
12	0	12
2	0	2
7	6	1
0	0	0
13	0	13

Group 2:
Code:
Pre|Post|Improvement
0	1	-1
2	0	2
1	0	1
0	0	0
0	11	-11
5	23	-18

I'm applying the t-test to determine if there is a statistical difference between the means(of the improvement columns).

My question is really simple(hopefully)... in group 2, should I be recording improvement as a negative number? or simply zero?

Using zero will not give me a significant statistical difference between the means of group 1 and group 2... using the negative numbers does.

Also, if I'm keeping the negative improvement numbers, is it okay to represent improvement as a negative percentage?

I've not done much with statistics, so would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Craig.

Since you are subtracting in the order Pre-Post, a negative difference indicates a higher value in the post data - that's what you are hoping to find, if I understand you correctly.

Note that you are free to subtract in either order: if the negative differences are giving you a conceptual problem, subtract in the other order.

I would be more concerned about doing t-tests with such small samples.

Related to How Should Negative Improvement Be Recorded in Pre-Post Test Data Analysis?

1. What is a pre-post test improvement?

A pre-post test improvement refers to the difference in performance or results between a pre-test and a post-test. It is used to measure the effectiveness of an intervention or treatment by comparing the outcomes before and after its implementation.

2. How is pre-post test improvement calculated?

The pre-post test improvement is calculated by subtracting the pre-test score from the post-test score. The resulting number represents the improvement or change in performance.

3. What is the significance of pre-post test improvement in research?

Pre-post test improvement is important in research as it allows for the evaluation of the effectiveness of an intervention or treatment. It can also help identify any changes or improvements in a particular outcome or variable over time.

4. What factors can affect pre-post test improvement?

The pre-post test improvement can be affected by various factors such as the quality and intensity of the intervention, individual differences, and external factors. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the results of a pre-post test.

5. How can pre-post test improvement be used in real-world applications?

Pre-post test improvement can be used in various real-world applications, such as evaluating the effectiveness of educational programs, health interventions, or training programs. It can also be used to track progress and measure the impact of an intervention or treatment in a clinical setting.