How simulate a transformer with Maxwell Ansoft?

In summary, if You want to simulate a transformer with Maxwell 3D, first you need to create a solid copper ring, then create a section, delete uneeded sections, assign an "excitation" (which can also be a load rather than a power source), and solve the model with magnetostatic solver. If You change any geometry, be sure to clear linked data in transient solution before solving. Once You have a mesh, solve the model with Maxwell and generate a transient report.
Hi all,

Here is the link to Ansoft/Ansys Maxwell detailed documentations! even me is a beginner, hope it helps..

regards,
SAra

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Everyone!
I am working on Ansoft Maxwell 2D software for designing a single phase transformer, 240 turns each side, but I am getting secondary voltage in mV. so no flux is linking with the secondary side. I followed the steps that was previously written in the forum, but as I beginner I need you help.Please see attached the circuit and errors I got.
Regards,
Hiteshi

Attachments

• Capture_no_load_model.PNG
    Capture_no_load_model.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 928
  • Capture_circuit_editor.PNG
    Capture_circuit_editor.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Capture_error_list.PNG
    Capture_error_list.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 782
Hiteshi said:
Hi Everyone!
I am working on Ansoft Maxwell 2D software for designing a single phase transformer, 240 turns each side, but I am getting secondary voltage in mV. so no flux is linking with the secondary side. I followed the steps that was previously written in the forum, but as I beginner I need you help.Please see attached the circuit and errors I got.
Regards,
Hiteshi

Hi Hiteshi,

I hope your 'Primary_winding_Right' and 'Primary_winding_Left' are the two coils that you created for primary (Coils need to be assigned to their appropriate windings)

in project manager--> Excitations: Right click on 'Primary_winding_Right' coil--> assign to 'Primary' winding, similarly do this for secondary also..

Forums are meant for clarifying doubts, while learning a software follow an appropriate example problem in their Maxwell manual found here: http://ansoft-maxwell.narod.ru/english.html

It may consume time, but there are no better alternatives..

--SAra

Aravinth S said:
Hi Hiteshi,

I hope your 'Primary_winding_Right' and 'Primary_winding_Left' are the two coils that you created for primary (Coils need to be assigned to their appropriate windings)

in project manager--> Excitations: Right click on 'Primary_winding_Right' coil--> assign to 'Primary' winding, similarly do this for secondary also..

Forums are meant for clarifying doubts, while learning a software follow an appropriate example problem in their Maxwell manual found here: http://ansoft-maxwell.narod.ru/english.html

It may consume time, but there are no better alternatives..

--SAra

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate that. Also manual is quite good. I will look into it. Thanks again!

Regards,
Hiteshi

Hey Sara,

So I have gone through the manual and simulated a single phase transformer. While validating, I haven't got any errors and magneto static simulation went well. But when I am doing transient simulation, while simulating I am getting this error "Winding L@Name defined in external circuits not assigned". I don't understand what and where exactly it is asking me to define it? I want to get the output voltage which was not coming earlier.

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,
Hiteshi

Attachments

• Errors_Sigle_Phase_MArch1.PNG
    Errors_Sigle_Phase_MArch1.PNG
    60.6 KB · Views: 750
Hiteshi said:
Hey Sara,

So I have gone through the manual and simulated a single phase transformer. While validating, I haven't got any errors and magneto static simulation went well. But when I am doing transient simulation, while simulating I am getting this error "Winding L@Name defined in external circuits not assigned". I don't understand what and where exactly it is asking me to define it? I want to get the output voltage which was not coming earlier.

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,
Hiteshi

Hi Hiteshi,

looks like you are not using one of your inductor defined at circuit in your maxwell model.

Regards,
SAra

Aravinth S said:
Hi Hiteshi,

looks like you are not using one of your inductor defined at circuit in your maxwell model.

Regards,
SAra

send me your file, i shall look into it.

-SAra

Aravinth S said:
send me your file, i shall look into it.

-SAra
Hey Sara,

Thanks for your reply. Considering your suggestion, I now kept only the secondary side circuit in the circuit editor and deleted the primary side, and secondary side inductor were used in the model (external circuit) , so that issue is now rectified. and I got an error while simulating, states that its an internal solver error. I will look into it today. You also should have a look, and suggest me something, as in validation i am not getting any error, only error is in analyzing it.

Thanks again Sara!

Regards,
Hiteshi

Attachments

• Error_Single_Phase.png
    Error_Single_Phase.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 607
Hey Sara,

So I simulated a couple of random models, some of them worked properly in both magnetic and transient simulations,but with two models, I had those internal solver issues, Please find attached my files. So in one model, I got internal solver error, MFX error and other states only internal solver error. Can you help me in figuring out this issue.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Hiteshi

Attachments

• errors_simulation.zip
    66.6 KB · Views: 322
hey all
how can I see magnetic field respect to time in specific point around transformer?