How Sin(90° + θ) =sin θ of triangle P'OM'

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the trigonometric ratio of the angle (90° + θ) in terms of θ and the confusion surrounding how sin(90° + θ) can be equal to sin(90° - θ) in terms of triangle P'OM'. The expert explains that this can be understood using a unit circle and provides diagrams to illustrate the relationship between the two angles. They also mention a possible mistake in their initial explanation and clarify it with further details. Finally, they explain how the concept can be applied to prove the equality of the two angles in triangle P'OM'.
Yogesh Tripathi
Hello everyone. I'm learning Trigonometry right now with myself and at current about how to find the trigonometric ratio of the angle (90° + θ) in terms of θ. I'm quite confused in the Figure. How sin(90° + θ) become equal to sin (90° - θ) of triangle P'OM'. I know that triangle P'OM' and POM are congruent.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1453558835443.jpg
    PicsArt_1453558835443.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 636
  • PicsArt_1453558956603.jpg
    PicsArt_1453558956603.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 651
Mathematics news on Phys.org
##\sin(90^o+\theta) = \cos \theta = \cos(-\theta) = \sin(90^o-\theta)##.

Likes Yogesh Tripathi
Have you heard of a unit circle? Look it up.

UncertaintyAjay said:
Have you heard of a unit circle? Look it up.
yes I know about it. But I didn't able to understand how to find the trigonometric ratio of the angle (90° + θ) in terms of θ from it.

UncertaintyAjay said:
Okay, so for any point on the unit circle: Draw a line from the point to the centre of the circle (0,0) then call the angle that line makes with the x-axis θ. So sin θ given by the y co-ordinate of that point. An angle of 90+θ is what you get when you reflect the above scenario across the y axis. So the y co-ordinate of your point is still the same. If the point was originally (x,y) it is now (-x,y). Since the y co-ordinate represents the sine of the angle and its equal in both cases, sin(90+θ) = sinθ.
Thankyou for the answer. Can you please show me this with figure please. It will help me more.

Sorry. Just a minute. I do believe I am wrong. I mistook 90 +θ for 180-θ and said it's equal to θ it's not. Just realized. Really, Really sorry. I have deleted that post. Read what follows.

But, basically you can still do it using a unit circle. For your θ, sin 90+θ is if move over θ from the y axis. So, sin 90+θ becomes (-y,x) [ Remember that (x,y) is your original point.] So if you reflect that across the y-axis you get (y,x) which is sin 90-θ. The following image shows the relationship between θ and 90+θ

47.jpg

And this shows the relationship between θ and 90-θ. So you can see from both these images what I'm talking about.
48.gif

UncertaintyAjay said:
Sorry. Just a minute. I do believe I am wrong. I mistook 90 +θ for 180-θ and said it's equal to θ it's not. Just realized. Really, Really sorry. I have deleted that post. Read what follows.

But, basically you can still do it using a unit circle. For your θ, sin 90+θ is if move over θ from the y axis. So, sin 90+θ becomes (-y,x) [ Remember that (x,y) is your original point.] So if you reflect that across the y-axis you get (y,x) which is sin 90-θ. The following image shows the relationship between θ and 90+θ

View attachment 94755
And this shows the relationship between θ and 90-θ. So you can see from both these images what I'm talking about.
View attachment 94758
UncertaintyAjay said:

View attachment 94755
View attachment 94758
How does it proof that angle Sin(90+θ) = sin(90-θ) of triangle P'OM'?

your stuff is quite similar to the unit circle. Look at the first diagram on the left in the image you posted .Angle AOP is θ. So angle POP' is 90+θ. So if you reflect triangle P'OM across the y axis, then angle AOP' will be 90-θ . It's easier to see that the two are equal if OP, OP' etc are the radii of a unit circle. Hence the unit circle.

1. How is the sine of an angle in a triangle calculated?

The sine of an angle in a triangle is calculated by dividing the length of the side opposite the angle by the length of the hypotenuse. This is represented by sin(θ) = opposite/hypotenuse.

2. What is the relationship between the sine of an angle and its corresponding angle in a right triangle?

The sine of an angle and its corresponding angle in a right triangle are directly proportional. This means that as the angle increases, the sine value also increases.

3. Why is sin(90°) equal to 1 in a right triangle?

In a right triangle, the opposite side and the hypotenuse are always perpendicular to each other. This means that when the angle is 90°, the opposite side will be equal to the length of the hypotenuse. Therefore, sin(90°) = opposite/hypotenuse = 1.

4. How does the sine function relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This can also be represented as a^2 + b^2 = c^2. By using the properties of sine, we can rewrite this as (sin θ)^2 + (cos θ)^2 = 1, demonstrating the relationship between the sine function and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. What is the significance of the angle 90° + θ in the sine function?

The angle 90° + θ represents the complement of the angle θ in a right triangle. This means that the two angles add up to 90°, making them complementary angles. This is why the sine value of 90° + θ is equal to the sine value of θ, as the opposite side and the hypotenuse will remain the same regardless of which angle is being measured.