How Small Can a Pulse Be Detected with a 1GHz Oscilloscope?

In summary: You can measure the rise time, but also take into account the bandwidth of your scope. This will give you the smallest time resolution that the scope can capture.
fedeb1
Hi,

What is the smallest pulse i can see using an oscilloscope with 1GHz bandwidth?

Im interested in the formula that links bandwith and smallest time resolution. Also it would be nice if you could include the reference of where i could read and learn about this things.

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There isn't any such general formula. If by pulse you mean square wave, it will depend on the frequency of the waveform.

The oscilloscope is effectively a filter. If you measure a square wave of low frequency relative to the bandwidth of the oscilloscope, you'll pass through the fundamental and plenty of it's harmonics, so you'll get to view a nice representation of the waveform. If the frequency of the square wave is close to the bandwidth of the oscilloscope, you'll probably just see the fundamental, as shown here:

Square wave frequency spectrum animation

This will make more sense if you read up a bit on 'Fourier series'. You can find plenty of good intuitive tutorials on it with a Google search.

A pulse in the time domain is a sinc function in the frequency domain. The spacing between sinc peaks and the amount of energy in each sinc peaks is related to the pulse width. A shorter pulse width will mean more energy in higher frequencies. A sinc spectrum is infinite, so a pulse requires infinite bandwidth to perfectly recreate, and so you will get a more distorted pulse measurement as you apply shorter pulses to the scope.

You need to define how much distortion you will accept in your pulse (how much energy you want under the sinc curve), then use that limit at 1GHz (but if digital scope take into account aliasing) and inverse Fourier transform to get the pulse width.

Last edited:
fedeb1 said:
Hi,

What is the smallest pulse i can see using an oscilloscope with 1GHz bandwidth?

Im interested in the formula that links bandwith and smallest time resolution.

"Smallest pulse I can see" is not a good way to link bandwidth with time resolution. For example, if the pulse amplitude is actually 1V, but it shows up as a 1uV bump on the oscilloscope would this count?

Instead, we connect the risetime with the oscilloscope bandwidth, and the most common formula is:

[tex] t_{rise} = 0.35/f_{bw} [/tex]

Do Internet search for "risetime and bandwidth and oscilloscope" and you will find many dozens of papers on this.

I was looking for that last formula. Trise and bandwith and i don't know why i thought it was pulse width and bandwith.

Thanks for all the replies!

Just keep in mind, that relationship only applies if your oscilloscope exhibits a Gaussian-like response, which is common for analog scopes:

Relating wideband DSO rise time to bandwidth

If you're pushing the limits of your scope, DragonPetter suggested a better way to evaluate signal distortion.

Related to How Small Can a Pulse Be Detected with a 1GHz Oscilloscope?

1. What is bandwidth?

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted over a network or communication channel in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in bits per second (bps) or multiples of bps such as kilobits per second (kbps) or megabits per second (Mbps).

2. How does bandwidth affect internet speed?

Bandwidth directly impacts internet speed because the higher the bandwidth, the more data can be transmitted in a given amount of time. This means that with a higher bandwidth, data can be downloaded or uploaded faster, resulting in a faster internet connection.

3. What is time resolution?

Time resolution refers to the ability to accurately measure and record the timing of events, particularly in relation to data processing. It is typically measured in seconds or fractions of a second.

4. How does time resolution impact data analysis?

Time resolution is crucial for accurate data analysis because it allows for the precise measurement of events and their timing. Without a high time resolution, important details and patterns in the data may be missed, leading to inaccurate conclusions.

5. How do bandwidth and time resolution work together?

Bandwidth and time resolution work together to determine the speed and accuracy of data transfer and analysis. A high bandwidth allows for faster transmission of data, while a high time resolution allows for more precise measurement and analysis of that data. Both are important factors in ensuring efficient and accurate communication and data processing.