Ready to Master Knots? Listen to This 2-Minute Audio!

• B
  • Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of knot theory and a new kind of fiber to visualize the strain on a rope as a knot is tied. The MIT analysis technique could potentially be extended to predict the ease of untying a knot, which is important for applications such as elastic bands for exercise. The conversation also mentions the importance of knowing different knot strengths and the use of a mnemonic to tie a square knot.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
In sailing, rock climbing, construction, and any activity requiring the securing of ropes, certain knots are known to be stronger than others. Any seasoned sailor knows, for instance, that one type of knot will secure a sheet to a headsail, while another is better for hitching a boat to a piling.

But what exactly makes one knot more stable than another has not been well-understood, until now.

(two minute audio)
It presents the use of basic knot theory and a new kind of fiber that shows tension by changing color. Suitable for almost any listener.

Likes Klystron, Greg Bernhardt, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Text version of the 'Knotty Problem' (above) is at:

I see you were beaten to the topic ...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/knot-theory-and-practical-use-of-knots.982629/

Likes jedishrfu
When dealing with knots sometimes the strain is too much and sometimes you just can-knot win.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda, jim mcnamara, berkeman and 2 others
Thanks for sharing. That is indeed an interesting article.

Sailors do indeed have a favorite knot for each application. They also know that knot strength is usually bout the decider. Many knots may be strong enough for the application, but the favorites are easier to tie and untie.

But it looks to me that MIT analysis technique could be extended to predict tie untie ease. Hopefully we'll see that in the near future.

Likes berkeman
I often tie temporary knots that must hold tight but be easy to untie; elastic bands into loops for exercise, for instance. As a child I learned a simple mnemonic to tie a square knot and avoid the troublesome granny:
Left over right then right over left.

the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes 'round the tree, and back down the hole...

Likes anorlunda and jedishrfu

1. What is "Ready to Master Knots? Listen to This 2-Minute Audio!"?

"Ready to Master Knots? Listen to This 2-Minute Audio!" is a short audio recording that provides step-by-step instructions on how to tie various knots.

2. How long is the audio recording?

The audio recording is 2 minutes long, making it a quick and easy resource for learning knot tying.

3. What types of knots does the audio cover?

The audio covers a variety of knots, including basic knots like the square knot and bowline, as well as more advanced knots like the clove hitch and fisherman's knot.

4. Is the audio suitable for beginners?

Yes, the audio is designed for beginners and provides clear and easy-to-follow instructions for tying knots.

5. Can I listen to the audio on any device?

Yes, the audio can be played on any device that has a media player, such as a computer, smartphone, or tablet.