Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to apply Faraday's Law of Induction

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Greetings,

I have read the explanation on this forum here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=441637 which discusses Faraday's Law of Induction, but I'm having a hard time understanding how to extrapolate that to my problem.

My goal:

Construct a circuit that measures ambient magnetic field strength, i.e., for finding wires, or determining if the ambient field strength is above a recommended (and likely arbitrary) background level of .5 Gauss.

I have a great deal of electronics experience, but, frankly, I'm terrible with math. Construction of the circuit is quite simple (I have a working spice model at any rate) but where Faraday's Law enters the picture is this:

-Assume the "probe" I've placed in this device is a 1mH inductor
    -I'm expecting this probe to produce a voltage I can measure, likely in micro or millivolts

So, can anyone give me a working example that would help me understand this? For instance, if my 1mH inductor was placed into a field of .5G strength coming from a 60Hz power line, what voltage would be induced on the probe?

Thanks,

-John

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    Google for Hall Effect. That effect is essence for measuring ambient magnetic fields, Concept is quite simple. Although that is for DC currents, I think it should apply somehow to AC.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

aha magnetics is not well taught IMHO. n * dphi/dt is fine but what are the units?

i used ten turns on 14 inch diameter to give 0.1 square meter coil
    so the voltage induced was direct indication of omega * (d phi/dt), flux in webers/m^2 which is 10,000 gauss.. at 60 hz w is 377 so next time i might make the coil 1/3.77 square meters.

i hope i have units right...

if your 1mh inductor is air core it might work but i wouldn't trust an iron core for fear it'll concentrate flux.

you need this book
    http://books.google.com/books/about/The_magnetic_measurements_handbook.html?id=byy_GwAACAAJ

it's great. i built his fluxgate magnetometer.

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4
    Thanks to both of you. I'll definitely grab a copy of that book.

-John

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook