1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to attach a gear to a static shaft?

1. May 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A shaft is being used as a cantilever and is held in the housing by its fit. It is to remain static whilst a gear is attached to the free end, how to you retain the gear on the free end of the shaft? Sketch a suitable method

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the shaft is being held by a clearance fit and the question is essentially asking how do you stop the gear from slipping off. I'm thinking you'd have to use a bearing to allow the gear to rotate freely around the shaft. I'm not sure if this is correct or if I'm looking at this the wrong way.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2
    This statement seems to indicate that the shaft is supported in a press fit or shrink fit, not a clearance fit. Presumably this is an idler gear, turning freely on the end of a non-rotating shaft.

4. May 11, 2017 #3
    Sorry, it was interference fit!

5. May 11, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps look at something similar such as the front wheel bearing of a ride on lawn mower?

6. May 11, 2017 #5
    Is the situation such that you want to put a bearing between the gear and the shaft, or do you want the gear to run directly on the shaft? Either way, you can use something like a large washer with a cotter key, a nut on the end of the shaft, or a ring with a set screw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted