How to become a propulsion engineer?

mimi10
As an entry level graduate, I'm exploring some ways to become a propulsion engineer. How can I become a propulsion engineer? What all should I consider to learn (both concept wise and software) ? What are other roles related to the path of a propulsion engineer that one must try?

Physics news on Phys.org
College graduate or high school graduate?
From this question, I will assume that you are a high school graduate. As far as I know, propulsion engineers get college degrees in Aerospace Engineering. (see this). If that fits your goals, you should investigate the courses and requirements of the Aerodynamic Engineering department of a college of your choice.

Likes berkeman and Astronuc
mimi10 said:
As an entry level graduate, I'm exploring some ways to become a propulsion engineer. How can I become a propulsion engineer? What all should I consider to learn (both concept wise and software) ? What are other roles related to the path of a propulsion engineer that one must try?
Normally, one would study and obtain a degree in Aerospace Engineering, and become familiar with the math, science and engineering of different propulsion concepts. Is one interested in propeller type propulsion, jet/turbine and/or rocket propulsion?

One should look into AIAA. They publish a journal Power & Propulsion, and there are annual conferences in propulsion.

https://arc.aiaa.org/journal/jpp

Likes FactChecker and berkeman
Astronuc said:
Normally, one would study and obtain a degree in Aerospace Engineering, and become familiar with the math, science and engineering of different propulsion concepts. Is one interested in propeller type propulsion, jet/turbine and/or rocket propulsion?

One should look into AIAA. They publish a journal Power & Propulsion, and there are annual conferences in propulsion.

https://arc.aiaa.org/journal/jpp
Hello sir!
Thank you for your time and efforts to guide me through. I'm interested in the field of Rocket Propulsion. I did check the AIAA journal. But most of them are closed and have to subscribe the membership which is very expensive amount.
Do suggest me some open and free sources I can check on.

FactChecker said:
College graduate or high school graduate?
From this question, I will assume that you are a high school graduate. As far as I know, propulsion engineers get college degrees in Aerospace Engineering. (see this). If that fits your goals, you should investigate the courses and requirements of the Aerodynamic Engineering department of a college of your choice.
Thank you for taking time in replying !
I'm a college graduate. I want to pursue masters in the states, but they are asking me to have minimum 3 years of in-field experience in aerospace sector. It has been a year or so and I'm unable to shout for myself in the mass area crowd for myself in entry level position since experienced people are applying more and getting placed ;-;.