Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to calculate atmospheric pressure?

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    Let's say I had the composition of an atmosphere, the mass of the planet it was on, and the diameter/density of said planet. First, what else, if anything, would I need to find the atmospheric pressure? Second, what would the equation for doing so be?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2
    You need the mass of the atmosphere.

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    By composition, I meant quantity of each gas.

5. May 3, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you know the total mass of each gas separately then you know the total mass of all the gasses put together.

If you know only the percentages (by weight) then what you know will not help you find the pressure you seek.

6. May 3, 2016 #5
    To get the pressure at the surface, which is usually referred to as the atmospheric pressure, just divide the weight of the atmosphere mg by the total surface area of the planet.

7. May 3, 2016 #6
    In what units? I tried this with Earth's atmosphere and I didn't get the right answer.

8. May 3, 2016 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What units did you use for the weight of the Earth's atmosphere and the surface area of the planet and what answer did you get?

9. May 3, 2016 #8
    I used 5.1x1018 kg for the atmosphere's weight and 4*π*12,742,0002 m2 for the surface area of the Earth. I got 2,499,684 kg/m2

10. May 3, 2016 #9

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Check your arithmetic and check your figure for the radius of the Earth in meters. I get around 11,000 kg/m2 on the back of an envelope.

Edit: 7 significant figures of computed output on an input that is only stated to 2 digits reflects more precision than is justified.

11. May 3, 2016 #10
    Radius. Sigh. I hate when I make stupid mistakes like that. Thank you all for your help.

12. May 3, 2016 #11
    Pa

13. May 3, 2016 #12
    Don't forget to multiply by g.

14. May 3, 2016 #13

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

I was assuming kilograms-force, but yes, I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted