How to calculate rotation, divergence in C/C++

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with writing a simple code in C/C++ to calculate the divergence or rotation of vector fields and illustrate partial derivatives. They are advised that this may not be as simple as expected due to the language not natively supporting mathematical objects and are recommended to look into the uBLAS library in Boost. They are also directed to Google for assistance with numerical differentiation.
walnutTree
Dear Experts,

I started to look deeper into the electromagnetic fields.
So I would like to write a simple code in C/C++, which is capable of calculating the divergence or rotation of the vector fields.

Could someone helps me please, to get this started?
How to illustrate partial derivatives in the program?

I would be very grateful for your helps!

Technology news on Phys.org
Unfortunately your program won't be very simple! Unlike a 4-th generation language such as Matlab, C++ does not natively support mathematical objects such as vectors. You'll need at least to write a "Vector" class, and define your operators (div, curl, etc) based on that.

You might be interested in the uBLAS library in Boost (www.boost.org).

Numerical differentiation is more or less straightforward in C++, Google should help you out with that.

1. How do I calculate rotation in C/C++?

To calculate rotation in C/C++, you can use the atan2() function from the math.h library. This function takes in two arguments: the y-coordinate and the x-coordinate of the point and returns the angle of rotation in radians.

2. What is the formula for divergence in C/C++?

The formula for divergence in C/C++ is dF/dx + dF/dy + dF/dz, where F is the vector field and x, y, and z are the coordinates.

3. How can I calculate divergence for a 3D vector field in C/C++?

To calculate divergence for a 3D vector field in C/C++, you can use the grad() function from the math.h library. This function takes in the x, y, and z components of the vector field as arguments and returns the divergence value.

4. Can I calculate rotation and divergence simultaneously in C/C++?

Yes, you can calculate both rotation and divergence simultaneously in C/C++ by using the curl() function from the math.h library. This function takes in the x, y, and z components of the vector field as arguments and returns a vector containing both the rotation and divergence values.

5. Are there any libraries or packages that can help with calculating rotation and divergence in C/C++?

Yes, there are several libraries and packages available that can help with calculating rotation and divergence in C/C++. Some popular options include the glm library, the boost library, and the OpenCV library. These libraries provide functions and methods for calculating rotation and divergence, as well as other mathematical operations.