How to Calculate Tension in a Hanging Sign Supported by Two Ropes

In summary, the tension in the two ropes holding up a 20 kg sign at 60 degree angles can be calculated by using Newton's second law and solving the equations for the x and y components. The tension in each rope is 113.28 N.
physicsma1391
[SOLVED] Tension- Hanging Sign

A 20.0 kg sign is being held up by 2 ropes. Each rope makes a 60 degree angle with the sign. So there is an upright triangle, each angle 60 degrees. I have to calculate the tenstion in the two ropes.

So far, I have
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] F[tex]_{}y[/tex]=ma[tex]_{}y[/tex]
+Fa[tex]_{}1[/tex]sin60 + Fa[tex]_{}2[/tex]sin60 = 20 kg (9.81 m/s[tex]^{}2[/tex])
I divided by sin60
Fa[tex]_{}1[/tex] + Fa[tex]_{}2[/tex] = 226.55 N
Each rope has 112.78 N

I'm not sure if i have to do the sum of the forces in the x direction or if the work i already did is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a FBD then break it down into components and use Newton's second law...

x: -T1cos(theta) + T2cos(theta) = 0

y: T1sin(theta) + T2sin(theta) - Mg = 0

Now solve the equations simultaneously.

when you say solve them simultaneously do you mean set them equal to each other since they both = 0?

physicsma1391 said:
when you say solve them simultaneously do you mean set them equal to each other since they both = 0?

The easiest way is to substitute.

Hint: Solve the x component equation for T1 and substitute into the y component equation.

OK! i did this and got each rope had 113.28 N of tension.

physicsma1391 said:
OK! i did this and got each rope had 113.28 N of tension.

Looks about right.

You should have come up with T1 = T2 = (Mg)/(2sin(theta)) = (20*9.8)/(2*sin(60)) = 113.16 N.

yep! thanks so much!

Related to How to Calculate Tension in a Hanging Sign Supported by Two Ropes

1. What is a tension-hanging sign?

A tension-hanging sign is a type of sign that is suspended from the ceiling or a structure by a wire or cable. The sign is held in place by tension and does not require any additional hardware or support.

2. How is a tension-hanging sign installed?

To install a tension-hanging sign, first determine the desired location and height. Then, use a stud finder to locate a ceiling joist or structure to hang the sign from. Install a hook or eye bolt into the joist or structure, and use a wire or cable to hang and secure the sign.

3. What materials are needed to make a tension-hanging sign?

To make a tension-hanging sign, you will need a sign or banner, wire or cable, hooks or eye bolts, and pliers or wire cutters. You may also need a stud finder and a ladder, depending on the installation location.

4. How much weight can a tension-hanging sign support?

The weight capacity of a tension-hanging sign depends on the strength of the wire or cable used and the installation method. It is important to follow weight guidelines and use appropriate hardware to ensure the sign is securely hung and does not pose a safety hazard.

5. Are tension-hanging signs reusable?

Yes, tension-hanging signs can be reused multiple times as long as they are properly stored and handled. The wire or cable may need to be replaced if it becomes damaged or weak, but the sign itself can be used multiple times for different promotions or events.