How to calculate the work done

In summary, the work done by the rope on the sledge is equal to the force net on the sledge times distance.
Romain Nzebele

Homework Statement

A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 18.0 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope inclined at 20.0° above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.0 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500. How much work is done by the rope on the sledge?

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma, W=F.d

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to tackle this problem. Can I say that the work done on the sledge equal to zero because the acceleration of the sledge is zero and the force net is zero, or should I first calculate the tension of the rope and use this value to calculate the work done? I will appreciate any explanation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Romain Nzebele said:
How much work is done by the rope on the sledge?
That's a bit confusing because work done by the rope and work done on the sledge are two different things. I would assume what's wanted is the work done by the rope.
I guess, in principle, the rope could have been doing work on two objects, and it would make sense to distinguish which work done component was wanted.

You are asked to find the work done by the rope which is the same as the work done by the tension. I suggest that you draw a free body diagram and figure out the tension.

haruspex said:
That's a bit confusing because work done by the rope and work done on the sledge are two different things. I would assume what's wanted is the work done by the rope.
I guess, in principle, the rope could have been doing work on two objects, and it would make sense to distinguish which work done component was wanted.
If I understand well the concepts of work and force, the work done on the sledge will be equal to the force net on the sledge times distance, while the work done by the tension will be equal to the tension component along the displacement times the distance?

Romain Nzebele said:
If I understand well the concepts of work and force, the work done on the sledge will be equal to the force net on the sledge times distance, while the work done by the tension will be equal to the tension component along the displacement times the distance?
Yes.

Okay, thank you so very much.

1. How do you calculate work done?

To calculate work done, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This is the same unit used for energy.

3. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative as the force is actually working against the displacement.

4. What is the difference between work done and power?

Work done is the measure of the amount of energy transferred to an object when a force is applied to it over a certain distance. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is the amount of work done per unit of time.

5. Can work done be used to calculate the efficiency of a machine?

Yes, work done can be used to calculate the efficiency of a machine. Efficiency is defined as the ratio of output work to input work. By calculating the work done by a machine and comparing it to the work put into the machine, you can determine its efficiency.