1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the load for ladder

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    hello everyone,

now i in practical in some company and they want me to design ladder and calculate the load that the ladder can support. the ladder is use to connected between barge and jetty.
    the ladder also has handrail as stiffness and it work in 45deg.

dimension for ladder
    length about 7.5m @ 24f
    width about 41cm @ 1.3f
    handrail is 50cm height

can anyone help me to calculate the load for this ladder. I know that need to use Uniform distribution load to calculate but i dont really understand. please someone guide me if you have some website and pdf for my review i really appreciated that

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    It sounds like the company is expecting too much from you. You need to have a proposed cross-section and choice of materials. Then you can make a list of possible failure modes. Then, for each failure mode, you need a mathematical model on which to base an analysis. Alternatively, search for a design already accomplished by a commercial firm that sells these things....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook