How to calculate the RPMs needed to make a spincast lquid parabolic dish?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CosmicVoyager
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
CosmicVoyager
Messages
164
Reaction score
0
Greetings,

Anyone know how to calculate the revolutions per minute needed to create a liquid parabola of given diameter and depth?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
A good accounting can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_mirror

AFAIK, the main problem is getting a motor that can run at low constant speed without any high-frequency jitter.

If I have done the math correctly, it seems the wider the radius is the fewer RPMs that are needed? Is that correct? That is the opposite for what I was thinking.
 
CosmicVoyager said:
If I have done the math correctly, it seems the wider the radius is the fewer RPMs that are needed? Is that correct? That is the opposite for what I was thinking.

The larger the radius, the slower angular speed needed to generate the same profile... IIRC that's correct. Those large mirrors turn *very* slowly.