How to calculate the velocity reduction in pipes

In summary, to calculate the velocity of water in the two pipes with varying diameter and length, you need the pressure at every entry/exit point of the pipe system. The flow for a specific pressure difference depends on the geometry of each pipe, but the dependency on absolute pressure should be small. If you add one more pipe with known length and diameter, the velocity in each pipe can be calculated if the pressure at each entry and exit point is known. However, if the pressure is the same everywhere, there will be no flow unless the system has zero friction.
Vinodhkumar
I have a big pipe with known diameter, length and velcity at big pipe. There are two pipes dividing form the big pipe with varing diameter and length.
1) How to calculate velocity of water in these two pipes?
2) If I add one more pipe of known length and diameter, what would be the velocity in each of these pipes.

Many Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the pressure at every entry/exit point of your pipe system. Each pipe has a specific relation "flow for specific pressure difference" (where the dependency on the absolute pressure should be small), this depends on the geometry.

Yes, I have pressure value for the pipes. But, it is same for all over the pipe. I won't be able to measure at each entry and exit of the pipes :(

If the pressure is the same everywhere, you cannot get any flow, unless the system has zero friction (in this case, the flow cannot be calculated without knowledge about the remaining system).

I would first like to clarify that the velocity of water in pipes can be calculated using various equations, such as the Bernoulli's equation or the continuity equation. The specific equation to use would depend on the specific conditions and assumptions of the system.

1) To calculate the velocity of water in the two pipes dividing from the big pipe, you would need to know the flow rate of water entering the big pipe, as well as the diameter and length of the two smaller pipes. Using the continuity equation, which states that the flow rate is constant throughout a closed system, you can calculate the velocity in each of the smaller pipes. This equation is given by Q = Av, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity.

2) Adding one more pipe of known length and diameter to the system would affect the flow rate and velocity of water in the entire system. To calculate the new velocity in each pipe, you would need to recalculate the flow rate using the updated system parameters and then use the continuity equation again to calculate the velocity in each pipe. It is important to note that adding another pipe would also introduce friction and other factors that could affect the velocity of water in the system.

In conclusion, calculating the velocity reduction in pipes is a complex process that requires knowledge of the system parameters and the use of appropriate equations. It is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when making these calculations in order to obtain accurate results.

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity reduction in pipes?

The formula for calculating velocity reduction in pipes is:
V2 = (A1/A2)^2 x V1
Where:
V2 = final velocity
A1 = initial cross-sectional area
A2 = final cross-sectional area
V1 = initial velocity

2. How do I measure the cross-sectional area of a pipe?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the diameter, and then using the formula for the area of a circle (A = πr^2) to calculate the cross-sectional area. Alternatively, there are tools such as calipers or pipe gauges specifically designed for measuring pipe diameter.

3. What units should I use for the velocity and cross-sectional area in the formula?

The units for velocity can vary depending on the specific application, but common units include feet per second (ft/s), meters per second (m/s), or feet per minute (ft/min). The units for cross-sectional area should match the units used for velocity squared, such as square feet (ft^2) or square meters (m^2).

4. Does the material of the pipe affect the velocity reduction?

Yes, the material of the pipe can affect the velocity reduction. Different materials have different roughness coefficients, which can impact the friction and therefore the velocity of the fluid flowing through the pipe. In general, smoother materials such as PVC will result in less velocity reduction compared to rougher materials like corrugated metal.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect velocity reduction in pipes?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect velocity reduction in pipes, including the viscosity of the fluid, the length and diameter of the pipe, and any bends or obstructions in the pipe. These factors can impact the flow rate and therefore the velocity of the fluid, which will in turn affect the velocity reduction in the pipe.