How to calculate pressure for gas pipe?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the required pressure at a connection point for a gas pipeline, with hints for resources and using a spreadsheet. The conversation also mentions the need to calculate in sections and not ignoring fittings and valves. The mass flow rate is 0.008 kg/sec and the conversation also asks for the Reynolds number for the flow.
medo
Hello all,
Thank you for reading my topic. My client asked me to make calculation sheet for gas pipeline like the image below. Can someone help me to make this? (i'm new in this system, need to learn and study. So please help me)

How to calculate the required pressure at connection point if knowing pressure outlet, pipe diameter, length of gas (N2 – Nitrogen) pipe like image below? (Neglect pressure loss through fittings, valve and deferent high level of connection point and end point)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
This was in your undergrad fluids book. It's in the chapter with the Moody diagram.

Hint 1: If the total pressure drop is more than a few percent, you will need to calculate in sections. There should be something about this in your fluids book.

Hint 2: You cannot ignore fittings and valves.

Hint 3: Some excellent resources in addition to your fluids book:
Compressed Air and Gas Data, by Ingersoll-Rand
Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe, Crane Technical Paper 410

Hint 4: Use a spreadsheet.

Likes medo, russ_watters and Bystander
jrmichler said:
This was in your undergrad fluids book. It's in the chapter with the Moody diagram.

Hint 1: If the total pressure drop is more than a few percent, you will need to calculate in sections. There should be something about this in your fluids book.

Hint 2: You cannot ignore fittings and valves.

Hint 3: Some excellent resources in addition to your fluids book:
Compressed Air and Gas Data, by Ingersoll-Rand
Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe, Crane Technical Paper 410

Hint 4: Use a spreadsheet.
Thanks for your reply and hits. As i said I'm new in this system. So can you step by step guide me how to calculate it?

What is the mass flow rate?

Likes medo
Chestermiller said:
What is the mass flow rate?
The mass flow rate is 0.008 kg/sec sir

medo said:
The mass flow rate is 0.008 kg/sec sir
Based on that and the other data you presented, what is the Reynolds number for the flow?

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure in a gas pipe?

The formula for calculating pressure in a gas pipe is P = (m * g) / A, where P is the pressure in Pascals, m is the mass of the gas in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square meters.

2. How do I determine the mass of gas in a pipe?

To determine the mass of gas in a pipe, you will need to know the density of the gas and the volume of the pipe. The mass can be calculated using the formula m = ρ * V, where m is the mass in kilograms, ρ is the density of the gas in kilograms per cubic meter, and V is the volume of the pipe in cubic meters.

3. What units should I use for pressure calculations?

The units for pressure calculations can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. However, the most commonly used unit for pressure is the Pascal (Pa). Other units that may be used include pounds per square inch (psi) and atmospheres (atm).

4. How does temperature affect pressure in a gas pipe?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the pressure in a gas pipe. As the temperature of the gas increases, the molecules move faster and collide with the walls of the pipe more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the pressure will decrease as well.

5. Can pressure in a gas pipe be negative?

Yes, pressure in a gas pipe can be negative. This can occur if the gas is at a lower pressure than the surrounding atmosphere, resulting in a partial vacuum. Negative pressure in a gas pipe can also occur if there is a leak or a decrease in volume, causing the gas to expand and decrease in pressure.