How to Calculate Time and Distance for a Plane Flying with Wind and Vectors

  • Thread starter Thread starter cwalden91
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
cwalden91
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"A plane flies north a distance of 283 km to the west. There is a wind blowing to the north at 56km/h. The plane's speed is 843 km/h. How much time is needed to get to the western position? How far north or south will the plane be from the original position? What is the actual distance the plane flew? What is the actual speed of the plane?"


Homework Equations


The only equation given to us thus far relating to vectors is the Pythagorean theorem : a2+b2=c2


The Attempt at a Solution


The only part of this question I was able to answer was the first part about the time. I used speed=distance/time to get time=0.336 hours. I don't even know where to start for the rest of this problem. I'm desperately in need of help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A plane flies north a distance of 283 km to the west.

I think whoever wrote this question has a variant of English unknown to most of us.
 
Well it was my Physics teacher...and he's quite American so...I don't know why he wrote it oddly.