How to completely delete the deleted files and programs?

In summary: If you want to delete more than one file at a time, you can type: sddelete -p 10 bankPasswords.txt 7) If you want to overwrite the file with zeroes instead of just deleting it, you can type: sddelete -o -p 5 bankPasswords.txtWhat you'll need to do is the following: 1) put the sdelete.exe in c:\windows\system322) Locate the directory of the file you want to delete. For example c:\users\dave\documents\bankPasswords.txt
yungman
I am returning a defective computer, I uninstalled all my installed programs and deleted all the files I put into the computer. I empty the recycle bin. I went into the program files folder and deleted my installed files. Is everything completely deleted?( I don't think so.). What else can I do to delete the stuffs?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
no your files are not deleted

In order to save time what happens when windows "Deletes" a file, it simply removes that files entry from the disk meta data. Essentially marks the space where those files were as being "free"

for sensitive files you want to use: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx

This tool in addition to marking the space as being free it also writes over the space multiple times to make it much less likely that stuff can be recovered.

Likes harborsparrow, davenn and yungman
Also you could reformat the disk if you don't mind having to reinstall the OS.
That would also cure the other 'defects' if they are arising due to a messed up registry or some other software based cause.

rootone said:
Also you could reformat the disk if you don't mind having to reinstall the OS.
That would also cure the other 'defects' if they are arising due to a messed up registry or some other software based cause.

You still need to be careful this route, when you reformat a disk if you pick the quick option it does the same thing. Just clears out the meta data, but the information in the files is still there and can be recovered by someone who is invested enough in doing so.
You can do a bit level (I think that's what its called) format which actually writes over every bit on the drive (sets them all to 0 or 1).

My family asked me to recycle a couple old computers and were shocked when I pulled out the hard drives and broke the platters. You never know where the recycled material goes and a broken platter is pretty much impossible to recover data from =D I just wanted an excuse to hit stuff with a hammer though lol

Likes harborsparrow, DrClaude, davenn and 1 other person
True, if you go that route, don't use the 'quick format' option, do the standard 'full format' or whatever it's called these days.

cpscdave said:
You still need to be careful this route, when you reformat a disk if you pick the quick option it does the same thing. Just clears out the meta data, but the information in the files is still there and can be recovered by someone who is invested enough in doing so.
You can do a bit level (I think that's what its called) format which actually writes over every bit on the drive (sets them all to 0 or 1).

My family asked me to recycle a couple old computers and were shocked when I pulled out the hard drives and broke the platters. You never know where the recycled material goes and a broken platter is pretty much impossible to recover data from =D I just wanted an excuse to hit stuff with a hammer though lol
I used the "quick delete" process, using an electric drill to drill holes all the way through all platters on the hard drive.

Likes harborsparrow, cpscdave and meBigGuy
cpscdave said:
no your files are not deleted

In order to save time what happens when windows "Deletes" a file, it simply removes that files entry from the disk meta data. Essentially marks the space where those files were as being "free"

for sensitive files you want to use: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx

This tool in addition to marking the space as being free it also writes over the space multiple times to make it much less likely that stuff can be recovered.

Thanks

I downloaded it, I ran it. Just a quick flash of DOS and no more action. Is that completed? I did it twice.

thanks

Mark44 said:
I used the "quick delete" process, using an electric drill to drill holes all the way through all platters on the hard drive.

Once you breach the casing, putting it in a bucket of soapy water does the trick too.

Likes harborsparrow
yungman said:
Thanks

I downloaded it, I ran it. Just a quick flash of DOS and no more action. Is that completed? I did it twice.

thanks
What you'll need to do is the following:
1) put the sdelete.exe in c:\windows\system32

2) Locate the directory of the file you want to delete. For example c:\users\dave\documents\bankPasswords.txt
3) Open a command prompt on Win 7 click the start button and type cmd in the search bar and open cmd.exe
on xp start->run cmd.exe
win 8 if you have a start menu installed same as win 7. If you don't. I actually don't know :D

4) in the command prompt goto the directory that has the file you want to delete by typing:
cd c:\users\dave\documents (or whatever the directory was from 2)

5) type sdelete -p 5 bankPasswords.txt (or whatever filename)

this will delete the file and then write random stuff over the disk space 5 times

Repeat for all the files you wish to remove

Likes harborsparrow and yungman
Secure deletion utility Eraser is free, comes with a beautiful GUI, can do just about anything when it comes to secure file wiping

cpscdave said:
What you'll need to do is the following:
1) put the sdelete.exe in c:\windows\system32

2) Locate the directory of the file you want to delete. For example c:\users\dave\documents\bankPasswords.txt
3) Open a command prompt on Win 7 click the start button and type cmd in the search bar and open cmd.exe
on xp start->run cmd.exe
win 8 if you have a start menu installed same as win 7. If you don't. I actually don't know :D

4) in the command prompt goto the directory that has the file you want to delete by typing:
cd c:\users\dave\documents (or whatever the directory was from 2)

5) type sdelete -p 5 bankPasswords.txt (or whatever filename)

this will delete the file and then write random stuff over the disk space 5 times

Repeat for all the files you wish to remove
Thanks

So if I already put them in the recycle bin, then I just point to the recycle bin? Also, I already empty the recycle bin. Is it too late?

yungman said:
... I already empty the recycle bin. Is it too late?
If you've emptied the recycle-bin, then the data is in "free space".
"sdelete" has an option to "Clean free space" ... https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx
which overwrites the data in free space, thus obliterating it. It could take tens of minutes to clean free-space : the process [repeatedly] writing what could be tens of gigabytes of memory on the hard-drive.

Last edited:
Likes harborsparrow
If you are using Windows there's a free program called Recuva , which will show you what 'deleted' files can be recovered from the recycle-bin portion of "free space".
You can then select to overwrite particular 'deleted' files found in recycle-bin using Recuva, which is a lot quicker than cleaning all "free space".

Likes harborsparrow
yungman said:
I am returning a defective computer,

Reading this sounds like a problem purchase from a shop is getting returned for warranty swap etc ... please clarify

if so, then many of the suggestions that were given for doing physical damage is a real bad idea ... its going to negate warranty etc real quick

in which case cspcdave's and Bob-A are great adviceDave

Thank you, Dave, for raising that. To the OP, are you returning a defective computer in exchange for a new one? What exactly is wrong with the current computer? If it is isn't the HDD, then can't that be swapped into the new one?

This is my method for preventing data retrieval.

LJ060401drive.jpg

I do not recommend this technique if you are planning on returning the computer.

DaveC426913 said:
I do not recommend this technique if you are planning on returning the computer.

"I swear that nail was there when I bought it"

Likes MrWarlock616, harborsparrow and DrClaude

1. How can deleted files and programs be permanently removed from a computer?

To completely delete deleted files and programs, you can use a file shredder or disk wiping software. These programs overwrite the data on the hard drive multiple times, making it virtually impossible to recover the deleted files.

2. Can I permanently delete a specific file or program without affecting other files?

Yes, there are file shredder programs that allow you to select specific files or programs to permanently delete without affecting other files. This gives you more control over which data is permanently removed from your computer.

3. Is it enough to just empty the recycle bin to completely delete deleted files and programs?

No, emptying the recycle bin only removes the file or program from the visible file system. The data is still stored on the hard drive and can be recovered using specialized software. It is important to use a file shredder or disk wiping software for complete removal.

4. Can deleted files and programs be recovered even after using a file shredder?

In most cases, no. File shredders use advanced algorithms to permanently delete data by overwriting it multiple times. However, there are some high-level data recovery techniques that may be able to recover some remnants of the deleted files.

5. Is it necessary to use a file shredder for personal use?

It is not necessary, but it is highly recommended for sensitive or confidential information. Simply deleting a file or program may not be enough to protect your data from being recovered by someone else. Using a file shredder adds an extra layer of security to ensure your deleted files and programs are completely removed from your computer.