How to convert magnus effect from 2d to 3d?

In summary: The figure in the PDF document is showing the distribution of the forces on an object due to the magnus effect of lift. The arrows in the figure are pointing in the directions that the system itself defines, which are the directions of the local velocity and the direction of the spin axis. In order to create a numerical model of the magnus effect, you would need to specify the spin rates around the axes v, l, and v x l. The spin rates would be used to calculate the forces effecting the x and y coordinates.
icandothemath
I am working on simulating the magnus effect of lift on a spinning ball. Right now spinning on the z axis I can calculate the force effect it has on the x and y coordinates.

If I am to add spin on the x do I do the exact same calculations effecting the y and z coords and just add them to the z spin forces?

And again do the same with the y spin effect on the x and z coords?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Express the answer you have obtained in coordinate independent form. To do this, interrogate the system by asking what directions does the system itself define. The axes x, y, and z were introduced by you and are not really relevant to the physical system. On the other hand, the unit vector in the direction of the local velocity and in the direction of the spin axis are physically defined directions. Try expressing your result in terms of these.

Likes icandothemath
Thanks for the reply MarcusAqgrippa. I ended up stumbling upon this article that explains the effect in 3D space. http://www.crm.cat/en/publications/publications/2013/pr1154.pdf I do not totally understand it though. My implementation of the 2D effect can be found here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ho...-to-the-3d-world-sample-code-included.321682/ Now I just need a bit of help taking the 3D article and understanding the difference between my 2D model and how to implement that in source code.

That is a very nice article. In the theory it does what I suggested that you do, and more: it sets up the equations of motion and produces a solution by perturbation techniques.

You did not say initially that you were trying to construct a numerical model for the 3-d problem. That is a lengthy piece of work, and is not something that I have time to do. If you have well formulated questions, I may be able to assist you in answering them. But I think you may be asking for more.

Perhaps someone else with more time on their hands can assist you. It would nevertheless be useful were you to formulate your current difficulty a little more precisely. Your open ended plea for help may not attract many responses.

Ok, maybe as I go through that document I can ask for some help if that is ok?
In figure 1 of the pdf document. It talks about unit vector l, v, and v x l. Then spin rates around these axis.
I am unsure what these axis are. The arrows in figure 1 do not make sense to me.
They look like like point arbitrarily in directions. Except for v which looks to line up with the x axis.

Also in the Force equations below it says m is mass but there is no m in the formulas.

Last edited:

1. What is the magnus effect?

The magnus effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of its motion, due to the interaction between the air or fluid it is moving through and the rotation of the object.

2. Why is it important to convert magnus effect from 2D to 3D?

Understanding the magnus effect in both 2D and 3D is important for a variety of applications, such as in sports, aerodynamics, and fluid dynamics. Converting from 2D to 3D allows for a more accurate representation of the effect in real-world scenarios.

3. How does the magnus effect change in 3D compared to 2D?

In 3D, the magnus effect is more complex and can vary depending on factors such as the shape and size of the spinning object, the speed and angle of its motion, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. The force generated in 3D is also typically greater than in 2D.

4. What methods are used to convert magnus effect from 2D to 3D?

There are various methods used to convert the magnus effect from 2D to 3D, including analytical and numerical approaches. These methods involve accounting for additional factors and variables in the 3D scenario, such as the orientation and shape of the object, to accurately calculate the resulting force.

5. What are some real-world examples of the magnus effect in 3D?

The magnus effect in 3D can be seen in many sports, such as baseball, tennis, and golf, where the spin of the ball affects its trajectory. It also plays a role in the aerodynamics of aircraft and wind turbine blades, and can even be observed in the flight of insects and birds.