How to convert Sturm Liouville to into Bessel's eqn.

  • Thread starter Thread starter fantastic_dan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convert
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
fantastic_dan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello, I've been given a Sturm Liouville problem to solve:

xy" + 2y' + λxy = 0

y(∏) = 2, y(2∏) = 0

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. However, it looks similar to Bessel's equation. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fantastic_dan said:
Hello, I've been given a Sturm Liouville problem to solve:

xy" + 2y' + λxy = 0

y(∏) = 2, y(2∏) = 0

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. However, it looks similar to Bessel's equation. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

I would suggest trying a series solution noting ##x=0## is a regular singular point.
 
LCKurtz said:
I would suggest trying a series solution noting ##x=0## is a regular singular point.

I would try some substitutions first. Like maybe u=yx.