How to convert Sturm Liouville to into Bessel's eqn.

• Thread starter fantastic_dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses a Sturm Liouville problem involving a differential equation and boundary conditions. The speaker is unsure how to solve it but suggests using a series solution and trying substitutions, such as u=yx.
fantastic_dan
Hello, I've been given a Sturm Liouville problem to solve:

xy" + 2y' + λxy = 0

y(∏) = 2, y(2∏) = 0

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. However, it looks similar to Bessel's equation. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
fantastic_dan said:
Hello, I've been given a Sturm Liouville problem to solve:

xy" + 2y' + λxy = 0

y(∏) = 2, y(2∏) = 0

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. However, it looks similar to Bessel's equation. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

I would suggest trying a series solution noting ##x=0## is a regular singular point.

LCKurtz said:
I would suggest trying a series solution noting ##x=0## is a regular singular point.

I would try some substitutions first. Like maybe u=yx.

1. How do I convert a Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation?

To convert a Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation, you can use a substitution method. First, let u = x-a and then substitute u into the Sturm Liouville equation. This will result in a new equation that can be rearranged to match the form of Bessel's equation.

2. Can I convert any Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation?

No, not all Sturm Liouville equations can be converted into Bessel's equation. The Sturm Liouville equation must have specific characteristics, such as a constant coefficient and a second-order derivative, for it to be converted into Bessel's equation.

3. What are the benefits of converting a Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation?

Converting a Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation can make the equation easier to solve and can also provide additional insights into the behavior of the solution. Bessel's equation is a well-studied and well-understood equation, making it a valuable tool in solving mathematical problems.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a Sturm Liouville equation into Bessel's equation?

One limitation is that the converted Bessel's equation may only have solutions for specific values of the independent variable. Additionally, the conversion process may not always be straightforward and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. Can I convert Bessel's equation back into a Sturm Liouville equation?

Yes, it is possible to convert Bessel's equation back into a Sturm Liouville equation by using the inverse substitution method. By making the appropriate substitutions and rearrangements, the Bessel's equation can be transformed back into its original form as a Sturm Liouville equation.