How to Correctly Apply Integration by Parts to ln(x-7)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Monocles
Messages
463
Reaction score
2
[SOLVED] integration by parts question

Homework Statement


This is part of a larger problem but I'm just not sure if I have the right answer.

edit: this is integral of ln(x-7)dx i just can't seem to figure out how to make it in latex


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


u-substituion:

[tex]u = x - 7[/tex]

[tex]du = dx[/tex]

Integration by parts to get

[tex]\intlnudu = ulnu - \int1du[/tex]

[tex]= ulnu - u[/tex]

[tex]= (x - 7)ln(x - 7) - (y - 7) + C[/tex]

Now my only problem with this answer is that it gives 7 + C as part of the answer, and I can't recall ever seeing a constant + C as the answer for any integral.

I actually plugged the equation into this integral finder:

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

And it told me that it was

[tex](x-7)ln(x-7) - x[/tex]

I'm guessing the +C is a given.

I would just leave it at +C and go on but its part of a differential equation so the value of C ends up being important...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
C is not just a constant in the integration. It's an ARBITRARY constant. There is no difference between C and C+7. Just leave it at C and go on.
 
You mean x-7 and a constant plus a constant is a constant. Both you and mathematica have the right answer, but mathematica just absorbed the 7 into the constant. Differentiate it to check. :)