How to Correctly Calculate Partial Differentiation

In summary, partial differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is used when dealing with functions that have multiple variables and has a notation similar to regular differentiation. It differs from regular differentiation in that it involves holding all other variables constant. The applications of partial differentiation include optimizing functions, analyzing multivariable functions, and solving problems in various fields of study.
Kamo123
Hello

Is what I have done calculated here correct? Please correct me if I have done something wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pp1.png
    pp1.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 471
  • pp2.png
    pp2.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the fundamentals correct. I haven't gone over line by line for pp2. pp1 looks fine.

In the last line of pp1, it looks like you've forgotten the factor of negative one that comes from ##\frac{\partial}{\partial h}[(q-h^2+3)^4] ##

Related to How to Correctly Calculate Partial Differentiation

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is often used in multivariable calculus to analyze functions with multiple variables.

When is partial differentiation used?

Partial differentiation is used when dealing with functions that have multiple variables. It allows us to analyze how the function changes with respect to each variable separately, while assuming that all other variables remain constant.

What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation for partial differentiation is similar to that of regular differentiation, but with a subscript denoting which variable is being held constant. For example, if we have a function f(x,y) and we want to find the partial derivative with respect to x, we would write it as ∂f/∂x.

How is partial differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Partial differentiation is different from regular differentiation because it involves holding all other variables constant while finding the rate of change with respect to one variable. In regular differentiation, we are finding the rate of change with respect to a single variable.

What are the applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to optimize functions with multiple variables, analyze multivariable functions, and solve problems in fields such as economics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.