How to create a conical source (mamography) in Vgate

In summary, the user is new to Vgate software and is trying to create a conical source with specific dimensions. They are considering using a conical beam with a focal spot of 0.3mm, but are unsure if it will be efficient. They are advised to edit the source parameters to adjust the emission angles in order to produce a conical beam in the Z direction.
Alexander Camargo
I am new in Vgate software.
I've tried a lot of things, but nothing works. I need to create a conical source that is 4 cm in radius and 16 cm in length. Example in photo attached
exemplo do que preciso.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean a conical source, a conical shaped volume which emits, or do you mean a conical beam? You can set min and max emission angles for sources.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Alex A said:
Do you mean a conical source, a conical shaped volume which emits, or do you mean a conical beam? You can set min and max emission angles for sources.
conical beam with a focal spot of 0.3mm. The focal spot is not problema, my problem is create a conical beam

A conical beam for a point source is produced with a circular aperture.

Conical beam.png

A shadow mask is functional but may be inefficient.

Consider editing the source parameters to something like;

Code:
# SET THE ANGULAR DISTRIBUTION OF EMISSION
/gate/source/yoursourcename/gps/angtype iso
# SET MIN AND MAX EMISSION ANGLES
/gate/source/yoursourcename/gps/mintheta 0. deg
/gate/source/yoursourcename/gps/maxtheta 14. deg
/gate/source/yoursourcename/gps/minphi    0. deg
/gate/source/yoursourcename/gps/maxphi 360. deg

This is the spherical physics coordinate system. This should produce a conical beam in the Z direction.

Redo the trig to get a more accurate angle if you need it.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How do I create a conical source in Vgate for mamography?

To create a conical source in Vgate for mamography, you will need to follow these steps:

• Open the Vgate software and select the "Create New Source" option.
  • Select the type of source as "Conical" and input the desired parameters such as cone angle and source position.
  • Click on "Create" to generate the conical source.
  • You can then save the source for future use or directly use it in your simulation.

2. What are the important parameters to consider when creating a conical source in Vgate?

Some important parameters to consider when creating a conical source in Vgate include:

• Cone angle: This determines the spread of the radiation beam and can be adjusted based on the specific requirements of the simulation.
  • Source position: This determines the location of the source in relation to the object being simulated.
  • Energy spectrum: This determines the range of energies emitted by the source and can be customized for different types of simulations.
  • Source size: This determines the size of the source and can be adjusted to mimic real-life scenarios.

3. Can I modify the properties of the conical source after it has been created in Vgate?

Yes, you can modify the properties of the conical source in Vgate even after it has been created. Simply select the source and click on the "Edit" button to change any parameters, such as cone angle or energy spectrum. You can also delete the source and create a new one with different properties if needed.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of the conical source in my simulation?

To verify the accuracy of the conical source in your simulation, you can compare the results with experimental data or use a reference source with known properties. You can also conduct sensitivity analysis by varying the parameters of the source and observing the effects on the simulation results.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a conical source in Vgate?

While Vgate offers a wide range of options for creating a conical source, there are some limitations to keep in mind. For example, the software may not be able to accurately simulate extremely complex sources or sources with very high energies. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities of Vgate and the specific requirements of your simulation before creating a conical source.