Create a Vacuum at Home: Easy Tips for Making a Partial Vacuum in a Small Box

• Thread starter albertrichardf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a partial vacuum using common household items. Suggestions include using an empty bottle or condensing steam, and a link is provided for more information on an early 'atmospheric engine'. Another option is using a venturi vacuum pump commonly used in labs.
albertrichardf
Hello all,
I was wondering how to create a partial vacuum using common household items. It would be in a small rectangle box which has an opening on top that will be sealed immediately after the vacuum is created. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Albertichardf,

This is an interesting home project. And it has already been undertaken by many. To begin with, you can use an empty bottle to create vacuum. I found this video which might help you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Ok thanks for the idea. The video is useful.

Condensing steam is a good way to produce a pretty good vacuum and it's so easy. Boil water in an open (and I stress OPEN) container, screwing the lid on and pouring cold water on it will give a very useful amount of vacuum. All the old steam engines worked on the reduced pressure of condensing water rather than the pressure increase when boiling. The vessels that they could make were just not strong enough to handle positive pressure.
See this link to find out about the early 'atmospheric engine'. This sort of approach will not give a continuous vacuum, though.

If you just want a small amount of continuous 'suck' then the venturi vacuum pump will give you something usable. These aspirator pumps were commonly used in labs to produce reduced pressure for filtering etc.

Creating a vacuum at home can be a fun and educational experiment, but it is important to exercise caution and follow proper safety measures. One way to create a partial vacuum in a small box is to use a hand pump or a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment. Simply place the hose or nozzle inside the box and seal the opening tightly with tape or a lid. Then, turn on the pump or vacuum and let it run for a few minutes to remove the air from the box.

Another method is to use a plastic bag and a straw. Place the item you want to create a vacuum around inside the bag and seal it tightly. Then, insert the straw into the bag and seal it with tape. Use your mouth to suck out the air from the bag through the straw, creating a partial vacuum inside.

It is important to note that these methods will not create a complete vacuum, as there will still be some air molecules present in the box. For a more precise and accurate vacuum, specialized equipment is necessary.

Overall, creating a vacuum at home can be a fun and educational experiment, but it is important to take safety precautions and understand the limitations of household materials. For more detailed and controlled experiments, it is best to consult a professional or use specialized equipment.

1. How do I create a vacuum at home using a small box?

To create a vacuum at home using a small box, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Find a small, airtight box that can hold a vacuum.
  2. Make sure the box has a lid that can be sealed tightly.
  3. Using a vacuum pump or a vacuum cleaner, remove as much air as possible from the box.
  4. Quickly seal the lid of the box to prevent air from entering.
  5. You have now created a partial vacuum in the small box.

It is important to note that this will only create a partial vacuum and not a full vacuum.

2. What materials do I need to create a vacuum in a small box?

To create a vacuum in a small box, you will need the following materials:

• A small, airtight box with a lid
  • A vacuum pump or a vacuum cleaner

3. How can I tell if I have successfully created a vacuum in the small box?

You can tell if you have successfully created a vacuum in the small box by observing the lid. If the lid is tightly sealed and does not move when you try to lift it, then you have successfully created a vacuum. You can also try to push down on the lid and see if it resists your force, which is another indication of a vacuum.

4. Can I use this method to create a full vacuum?

No, this method will only create a partial vacuum. To create a full vacuum, you will need specialized equipment that is not typically found in a household setting.

5. How long will the vacuum last in the small box?

The vacuum in the small box will not last very long, as air will slowly seep back into the box through small openings. The exact duration will depend on the quality of the seal and the size of the box. Generally, the vacuum will last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.