How to create device that makes electrical discharge

In summary, you can build an oscillator, but you may want to study how a car ignition system generates a spark in spark plug.
David lopez
How do I build a device that creates
An electrical discharge between wires? I can build an oscillator. Do I
Connect an oscillator to a transformer and connect the transformer to a pair of wires?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a choice: build a van de Graaff generator, or -- more along the lines of your post -- study how a car ignition system generates a spark in spark plug.

If you are interested in the physics workings, post a more specific question in this or in a new thread.

• Informative
Likes davenn and anorlunda
David lopez said:
How do I build a device that creates
An electrical discharge between wires? I can build an oscillator. Do I
Connect an oscillator to a transformer and connect the transformer to a pair of wires?
Can you tell us more what you are trying to do? What configuration of wires do you mean - are they parallel or pointing their ends to one another? What size of spark do you want?

The device creates an electrical discharge.
The wires are parallel and the electrical
Discharge lasts as long as I hold a button down. How do I build that?

This circuit works well.

Likes davenn
David lopez said:
The device creates an electrical discharge.
The wires are parallel and the electrical
Discharge lasts as long as I hold a button down. How do I build that?
BvU said:
You have a choice: build a van de Graaff generator, or -- more along the lines of your post -- study how a car ignition system generates a spark in spark plug.
and also a Jacob's Ladder

jacobs-ladder-electrical-arc.jpg

Tho seeing @David lopez 's other threads

I'm not sure he is really skilled enough to be working with high voltages ?

@berkeman

Likes berkeman and Averagesupernova
I assume that you want to make an arc through air? The problem with this is that it requires high voltage to do that. Unless you know a lot about electronic circuits, this can be quite dangerous. This is particularly true if you want a constant discharge. It is also hard to do from a technical, cost, and reliability perspective.

Likes berkeman
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Sending the OP a PM to ask a few questions...

Likes davenn

1. How does an electrical discharge device work?

An electrical discharge device works by creating a high voltage difference between two electrodes, which causes electrons to flow through the air between them, creating a spark or electrical discharge.

2. What materials are needed to create an electrical discharge device?

The materials needed to create an electrical discharge device include a power source, such as a battery or generator, two electrodes made of conductive materials, and a medium for the electrons to travel through, such as air or gas.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when creating an electrical discharge device?

When creating an electrical discharge device, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any potential harm from the high voltage. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow proper electrical safety procedures.

4. Can an electrical discharge device be used for practical applications?

Yes, an electrical discharge device can be used for practical applications such as welding, cutting, and sterilization. It can also be used in scientific research and experiments, such as in plasma physics and high voltage testing.

5. Are there any alternative methods for creating electrical discharge besides using electrodes?

Yes, there are alternative methods for creating electrical discharge, such as using a Van de Graaff generator or a Tesla coil. These devices use different mechanisms to create high voltage differences and produce electrical discharges.