How to Split a Vector into Two Parts in R?

• Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Vector
In summary, the cut function in R allows you to divide a vector into specific intervals or ranges, which can be useful for data analysis and organization. The breaks parameter determines the start and end points of each interval.
FallenApple
How do a cut a vector in R? Say I want to split a vector to two parts. One for everything less than 150 and other for everything greater than 150. I tried the cut function but it seems confusing.

Technology news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
How do a cut a vector in R? Say I want to split a vector to two parts. One for everything less than 150 and other for everything greater than 150. I tried the cut function but it seems confusing.
Here are some examples: http://www.endmemo.com/program/R/cut.php
From the link above:
Divide the data into ranges -5 ~ 5:
> c <- cut(x,breaks=-5:5)
> c
[1] (-1,0] (0,1] (-1,0] (0,1] (0,1] (-1,0] (1,2] (0,1] (1,2]
< the rest is omitted>

10 Levels: (-5,-4] (-4,-3] (-3,-2] (-2,-1] (-1,0] (0,1] (1,2] (2,3] ... (4,5]
Here x is an array of 100 random normal values. (The R code is shown in the link.)
The cut function breaks the array up into intervals from -5 to 5, with a step size of 1.
The first few values in the array are
[1] -0.154103462 0.271704132 -0.234160855 0.764474679 0.438237645
The first value above lies in the interval (-1, 0]. The second value above lies in the interval (0, 1], and so on.

As for the question you asked, try something like cut(vec, breaks=0:150:300)

Here vec is your vector, and the breaks are at 0, 150, and 300.

Likes FallenApple

What is a vector in R?

A vector in R is a data structure that stores multiple values of the same data type in a single variable. It is represented by a set of values enclosed in c() function.

How do I create a vector in R?

To create a vector in R, you can use the c() function and pass in the values you want to store in the vector. For example, c(1, 2, 3) will create a vector with values 1, 2, and 3.

How can I cut a vector in R?

To cut a vector in R, you can use the square bracket notation and specify the indices of the elements you want to extract. For example, v[2:5] will extract elements 2 to 5 from the vector v.

What is the difference between vector indexing and vector subsetting in R?

Vector indexing in R refers to extracting specific elements from a vector by specifying their indices. On the other hand, vector subsetting involves extracting elements based on a logical condition or a vector of logical values.

Can I modify a vector while cutting it in R?

Yes, you can modify a vector while cutting it in R by assigning new values to the indices you are extracting. For example, v[2:5] <- 10 will replace elements 2 to 5 in the vector v with the value 10.