Understanding E subscript R Notation in the Context of General Relativity

robotkid786
Homework Statement
It's not homework, it's a query about the book "spacetime and geometry"
Relevant Equations
F=GMm/r^2 e subscript r in brackets
All I know is that e subscript r must be a vector cos the book says so, but what does it mean, is it, a konstant in vector form? I'm confused by it (page one, chapter one spacetime and geometry by SeanCaroll)

Help is appreciated

Edit. Is vector r describing the curvature that takes place ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the unit vector in the radial direction, also written ##\hat r##.

Likes robotkid786
robotkid786 said:
Homework Statement: It's not homework, it's a query about the book "spacetime and geometry"
Relevant Equations: F=GMm/r^2 e subscript r in brackets

All I know is that e subscript r must be a vector cos the book says so, but what does it mean, is it, a konstant in vector form? I'm confused by it (page one, chapter one spacetime and geometry by SeanCaroll)

Help is appreciated

Edit. Is vector r describing the curvature that takes place ?
That's Carroll's notation for a unit vector in the direction of separation of the masses. The more usual notation involves the position vectors of the two masses ##\vec r_1, \vec r_2##. In which case, the force on mass ##m_2## is:
$$\vec F_2 = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{|\vec r_1 - \vec r_2|^3}(\vec r_1 - \vec r_2)$$

haruspex said:
That's not actually what Carroll means in this context.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
If by radial direction you mean the direction of separation of masses M and m then ok, but if you mean the unit vector in polar, spherical or cylindrical coordinates, then you are not ok :D.

Delta2 said:
If by radial direction you mean the direction of separation of masses M and m then ok, but if you mean the unit vector in polar, spherical or cylindrical coordinates, then you are not ok :D.
##e_r, e_\theta## are often used to denote unit vectors in the radial and tangential directions in polar coordinates. Likewise ##e_x## etc. in Cartesian. See e.g. https://www.chegg.com/homework-help...-z-r-right-rangle-unit-radial-vect-q114756124.

Per @PeroK, it seems that Sean Carroll is here, in effect, electing to take one of the masses as being at the origin.

haruspex said:
Per @PeroK, it seems that Sean Carroll is here, in effect, electing to take one of the masses as being at the origin.
It's actually his own slighty idiosynchratic notation. In any case, it's only the prelude and only the briefest summary of Newtonian gravity before he introduces the Einstein Field Equations.

So, does this mean. The hat notation is equivalent to the subscription notation here?

In which case, as above, the vector here being referred to is in reference to the circular distance between m and M?

Sorry if I'm getting it wrong. I havent even done vectors in my degree yet and I can hardly remember the topic either 🙃

robotkid786 said:
So, does this mean. The hat notation is equivalent to the subscription notation here?

In which case, as above, the vector here being referred to is in reference to the circular distance between m and M?

Sorry if I'm getting it wrong. I havent even done vectors in my degree yet and I can hardly remember the topic either 🙃
If you haven't studied vectors yet, you are wasting your time with a graduate textbook on GR. Moreover, you cannot seriously learn GR until you have mastered SR.

The vector being referred is the unit vector in the direction of the line that connects the centers of the two masses.

If we consider a coordinate system in spherical or polar coordinates and we put its origin in mass M or the mass m, then the vector being referred is also the radial unit vector of the coordinate system.

Likes MatinSAR, robotkid786 and PeroK
Got you, thanks man

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
If you haven't studied vectors yet, you are wasting your time with a graduate textbook on GR. Moreover, you cannot seriously learn GR until you have mastered SR.
Don't cut the wings of possibly I have to admit overambitious young students.

What is E subscript R notation in the context of general relativity?

E subscript R notation in general relativity represents the Ricci curvature tensor, which is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is a key component in Einstein's field equations, which govern the behavior of gravity.

How is E subscript R notation used in general relativity equations?

In general relativity equations, E subscript R notation is used to represent the Ricci curvature tensor, which is a contraction of the Riemann curvature tensor. It helps describe how matter and energy interact with spacetime to produce gravitational effects.

What are the implications of E subscript R notation in general relativity?

The implications of E subscript R notation in general relativity are profound, as it allows us to understand the curvature of spacetime caused by matter and energy. This curvature is what we perceive as gravity, and it plays a crucial role in shaping the universe at both small and large scales.

Can you provide an example of E subscript R notation in a general relativity equation?

An example of E subscript R notation in a general relativity equation is the Einstein field equations, which can be written as G subscript μν = 8πGT subscript μν. Here, T subscript μν represents the energy-momentum tensor, and G subscript μν represents the Einstein tensor, which is derived from the Ricci curvature tensor.

Why is it important to understand E subscript R notation in the context of general relativity?

Understanding E subscript R notation in the context of general relativity is important because it provides a mathematical framework for describing the fundamental interactions of matter and energy with spacetime. This understanding is crucial for making predictions about the behavior of gravity and the evolution of the universe.