How to Sketch a Locus on the Argand Diagram for a Complex Equation?

• Thread starter dave1987
  • Start date
In summary, the "j" refers to the imaginary unit in mathematics and is represented by the symbol √-1. It is important because it allows for complex numbers to be represented and used in mathematical equations. To simplify expressions involving the "j", one can use the properties of complex numbers and the rules of algebra. The "i" and the "j" both represent the concept of the square root of -1, but are used in different fields. The "j" is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to describe real-world phenomena. However, there are limitations and exceptions when dealing with the "j", such as undefined division by zero and multiple solutions in some equations. It is essential to understand the properties and rules of complex
dave1987
given z is complex, sketch the following locus on the Argand diagram:

{(z-3+j)/(z-j) }= square roots of 5

{ }= modulus .

hope anyone can guide .

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you use "i" instead of "j" like a normal human being, not an engineer!:rofl:

"Square" both sides to get
[tex]\frac{(z-3+ i)(\overline{z}-3-i)}{(z+i)(\overline{z}- i)}= 5[/itex]
Setting z= x+ iy that is
[tex](x-2 + i(y+1))(x- 2)- i(y-1)= 5(x+ i(y+1))(x- i(y-1))[/itex]

Multiply that out and separate real and imaginary terms.

What is the "j" and why is it important?

The "j" refers to the imaginary unit in mathematics, which is represented by the symbol √-1. It is important because it allows for complex numbers to be represented and used in mathematical equations.

How do I simplify expressions involving the "j"?

To simplify expressions involving the "j", use the properties of complex numbers and the rules of algebra. For example, you can combine like terms and use the fact that j^2 = -1 to simplify the expression.

What is the difference between the "j" and the "i" in mathematics?

The "i" refers to the imaginary unit in engineering and physics, while the "j" is used in mathematics. They both represent the same concept of the square root of -1, but are used in different fields.

How is the "j" used in real-world applications?

The "j" is used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It allows for complex numbers to be used in calculations and models that describe real-world phenomena.

Are there any limitations or exceptions when dealing with the "j"?

Like any mathematical concept, there are limitations and exceptions when dealing with the "j". For example, division by zero is undefined in complex numbers, and some equations may have multiple solutions when involving the "j". It is important to understand the properties and rules of complex numbers when using the "j" in calculations.