How to deal with these +- values in an equation?

• I
  • Thread starter Martyn Arthur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle the +- values in the equation y = (0.68+-5.04) +(4.62+-0.14)x and how to calculate the final values for y and quantify possible errors. It is recommended to plot the mean and error bars for the upper and lower bounds of y, and to use error propagation to calculate the uncertainty in y. The final reported value should have the same number of significant figures as the input parameters.
Martyn Arthur
TL;DR Summary
How to create chart from an equation with +- values
Hi, I am required to produce a calculation from the following equation which has +- values, y = (0.68+-5.04) +(4.62+-0.14)x.
How do I take into account the +-data to arrive at a final set of figures.
I am required to quantify possible errors, how do I quantify the +-
Am I correct in assuming that the x being at the end of the equation has no alternative meaning and simply requires the second set of figures to be multiplied by x.
Thank you
Martyn

Physics news on Phys.org
Those + and - signs indicate range deviations from a straight line in a x versus y graph of experimental values.

y = (0.68+-5.04) +(4.62+-0.14)x.
y = a + b * x
a = 0.68 ±5.04 ; you need to check this suspicious value, the error bar swamps the data.
b = 4.62 ±0.14 ; this must be converted to a proportion prior to multiplication.

Likes berkeman
Thank you; so do I create the solutions to the equation disregarding them (the forme +- is relatively very large, plot the graph, but then how do I fit these errors into the final outcome?
Seeing the last post I have checked and that is the equation which is a shown, it derives from an Open University Activity "A study by Kearsley et al. (2006) investigated the relationship between particle diameter and crater diameter"
Thanks
martyn

For each value of x there will be a maximum and a minimum value of y.
Plot the mean and the error bars that give an upper and a lower bound.

Likes DaveE
Again thanks, so do I calculate the results of the equation arriving at values for y disregarding the +- such that they then form the same error bars for y for each outcome of the equation calculation?
If so I think I have got it!
Ongoing thanks to you guys.
Martyn

The error bars increase with x, due to b = 4.62 ±0.14

Sorry not having a good day, we haven't done a lot on error bars, I have researched the text.
Am I correct that I calculate the values for y disregarding the indicated error figures so that I have a final set of values to plot.
Do I diseragrd the first potential error as it is not asociated with the x element?
If so do I then calculate a further two sets of values for each calculation including the +- values which the are included as the values for the error bars?
So this a table with three columns, the primary value and a top and bottom error value?
Ongoing thanks for your patience
Martyn

Given x = 1, 2 .
First multiply by b.
b = 4.62 ±0.14 ; min = 4.48 ; mean = 4.62 ; max = 4.76
x = 1 ; min = 4.48 ; mean = 4.62 ; max = 4.76
x = 2 ; min = 2*4.48=8.96 ; mean = 2*4.62=9.24 ; max = 2*4.76=9.52
Finally add a.
a = 0.68 ±5.04 ; min = -4.36 ; mean = +0.68 ; max = +5.72
x = 1 ; min = 4.48-4.36=0.12 ; mean = 4.62+0.68=5.3 ; max = 4.76+5.72=10.48
x = 2 ; min = 8.96-4.36=4.6 ; mean = 9.24+0.68=9.92 ; max = 9.52+5.72=15.24

When you say "I have to produce a calculation" I assume it to mean that you have a set of values for the independent variable ##x## and wish to find corresponding values for ##y## and the uncertainty in your calculated value. If that's the case, then I would
(a) find the value of ##y## for the given value of ##x##
(b) find the uncertainty in ##y## using error propagation

Example
Say you have ##y=bx+a## and are given that ##b=3.2\pm 0.3## and ##a=2.8\pm 0.5##. You want to calculate ##y## for ##x=5.6##.
Step (a): ##y=3.2\times5.6+2.8=17.92+2.8=20.72.##
Step (b): The uncertainty in ##bx## due to the uncertainty in ##b## is $$\delta y_{bx}=(bx)\frac{\delta b}{b} =x{\delta b}=5.6\times 0.3=1.68.$$ To this you add the uncertainty in the intercept and get the uncertainty in ##y##: ##\delta y=1.68+0.5=2.18##. You might be tempted to report ##y=20.72\pm2.18##, but such precision is nonsensical. The reported value should be rounded to two significant figures which, in this case, is the accuracy of the input parameters. Thus, you report ##y=21\pm 2.## The uncertainty usually has one but should have no more than two significant figures.

Likes Lnewqban

Related to How to deal with these +- values in an equation?

1. How do I handle negative values in an equation?

Negative values in an equation can be handled by using the appropriate mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The key is to follow the rules of algebra and perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain equality.

2. Can I ignore the negative sign in an equation?

No, the negative sign in an equation is significant and cannot be ignored. It indicates the direction or magnitude of the value and affects the overall result of the equation.

3. How do I convert a negative value to a positive value in an equation?

To convert a negative value to a positive value in an equation, you can use the absolute value function. This function returns the positive value of a given number and can be used to eliminate the negative sign in an equation.

4. What should I do if my equation has both positive and negative values?

If your equation has both positive and negative values, you can combine like terms to simplify the equation. This will help you isolate the variable and solve for its value. Additionally, you can use the distributive property to eliminate the negative sign in front of a parenthesis.

5. How do I handle fractions with negative values in an equation?

Fractions with negative values in an equation can be handled by following the same rules of algebra. You can add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions with negative values just like you would with positive values. However, it is important to keep track of the negative signs and maintain the correct order of operations.