How to Deal with this Integral

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I am confused about how you ended up with the integral of u^{n-1} in the first place. I am going to start a new thread on this since that is a new question.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an equation and the use of a power series to solve it. The participants consider different approaches, including making a substitution and taking derivatives, to solve the equation and determine the value of a constant. Some confusion arises regarding the correct derivative and the convergence of the power series, leading to further discussion and the suggestion to start a new thread for clarification.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

So I have a problem in which I have arrived at the following equation (which according to my professor is correct). I am having some trouble with the math now:

[tex]
\int_0^x \left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{\xi}{x} \right )^{3/4} \right ]^{-1/3}
\frac{dT_w}{d\xi}\,d\xi = C \qquad(1)
[/tex]

Where C is a big lump of constants. I was then told to assume that Tw is given by a power series:

[tex]
T_w (\xi) = \sum_0^\infty a_n\xi^n\qquad(2)
[/tex]

Plugging (2) back into (1) gives:

[tex]
\int_0^x \left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{\xi}{x} \right )^{3/4} \right ]^{-1/3}\sum_{n=0}^\infty na_n\xi^{n-1}\,d\xi = C \qquad(3)
[/tex]

Somehow, I am supposed to get from (3) that Tw is a constant by solving for the an's.

I am not really sure how to handle (3) mathematically? Can anyone offer up the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saladsamurai! :smile:
Saladsamurai said:
… Where C is a big lump of constants. …

Somehow, I am supposed to get from (3) that Tw is a constant by solving for the an's.

I don't get it :redface:

if Tw is constant, then its derivative, in (1), is zero, so C in (1) is 0. :confused:

Hi tiny tim! Yeah... that doesn't make sense! Just forget about that part for now. How would you go about solving (3) as it stands now for your an's.

As it stands, it's not correct. The derivative of a constant is zero, so your sum starts from n=1, and not from n=0. Now since the integral is linear, so can take the sum out of the integral and then integrate each term.

Since C is constant, my inclination would be to d/dx both sides. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Since C is constant, my inclination would be to d/dx both sides. :smile:

That's totally what I said to my professor! But he completely ignored my suggestion :frown: If I d/dx it I will get:

[tex]\left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{\xi}{x} \right )^{3/4} \right ]^{-1/3}\sum_{n=0}^\infty na_n\xi^{n-1} = 0[/tex]

which looks easier to handle.

Even if you could do the integeral you would get something like f(x)=C, is this what he is after?

Just so you don't run into difficulties: your derivative is not correct, because you have x as a limit and inside the integral.
[tex] d/dx \int_0^x f(x, \xi) d\xi = f(x, x) + \int_0^x d/dx f(x, \xi) d\xi[/tex]
And that complicates things quite a lot.

EDIT: Not to mention that f(x, x) diverges unless a_n = 0 for n >= 1. But that's no proof that T=const, because it's an integrable singularity, so the original integral exists. Maybe that's the reason your professor didn't want you to derive it with respect to x? (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
[tex]
\int_0^x \left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{\xi}{x} \right )^{3/4} \right ]^{-1/3}
\frac{dT_w}{d\xi}\,d\xi = C \qquad(1)
[/tex]

An alternative approach is to make a substitution first.

Let's take [tex]u = 1 - (\frac \xi x)^{3/4}[/tex]

So we'll get from (1):

[tex]
\int_1^0 u^{-1/3} \frac{dT_w}{du} du = C
[/tex]

Now we'll substitute:

[tex]
T_w (u) = \sum_0^\infty a_nu^n \qquad(2)
[/tex]

yielding

[tex]
\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} n a_n \int_1^0 u^{-1/3} u^{n-1} du = C
[/tex]

which evaluates to:

[tex]
\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} n a_n \frac {-1} {n - 1/3} = C
[/tex]

From this we can deduce that an must be zero starting from some N.
That is assuming that the power series for Tw, its derivative and the combined integral are convergent.

That's as far as I get. Useful?

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Hi Saladsamurai! :smile:

I don't get it :redface:

if Tw is constant, then its derivative, in (1), is zero, so C in (1) is 0. :confused:

Actually tiny-tim, according to my professor, this is exactly correct and is the point of the problem. C is actually, as I said, I lump of constants. By discovering that C is zero, it allows me to set my 'expanded version' of C equal to zero and solve for an unknown. That is, I can say that C = A - B = 0 and get some useful information out of it.

grey_earl said:
Just so you don't run into difficulties: your derivative is not correct, because you have x as a limit and inside the integral.
[tex] d/dx \int_0^x f(x, \xi) d\xi = f(x, x) + \int_0^x d/dx f(x, \xi) d\xi[/tex]
And that complicates things quite a lot.

EDIT: Not to mention that f(x, x) diverges unless a_n = 0 for n >= 1. But that's no proof that T=const, because it's an integrable singularity, so the original integral exists. Maybe that's the reason your professor didn't want you to derive it with respect to x? (no pun intended)

Hi there grey_earl :smile: Thanks for responding. Your response has helped to point out yet another hole in my understanding of calculus. I will probably start a new thread on just how to take the derivative of that function since I have a lot of little questions about it. Maybe you will join me there!

I like Serena said:

So we'll get from (1):

[tex]
[/tex]

Now we'll substitute:

[tex]
[/tex]

yielding

[tex]
[/tex]

which evaluates to:

[tex]
[/tex]

That is assuming that the power series for Tw, its derivative and the combined integral are convergent.

Hi I like Serena! :smile: This is quite useful! I have another thought that is quite similar that I will post in a minute. But you have given me an idea :smile:

I like Serena said:

So we'll get from (1):

[tex]
[/tex]

Now we'll substitute:

[tex]
[/tex]

yielding

[tex]
[/tex]

which evaluates to:

[tex]
[/tex]

I like Serena. I am going through your substitution since mine is not working out. I am curious about a few things though. I'll start with one: since we defined [itex]u = 1 - (\frac \xi x)^{3/4}[/itex], it woud seem that assuming [itex]T_w (u) = \sum_0^\infty a_nu^n[/itex] is not the same as assuming [itex]T_w (\xi) = \sum_0^\infty a_n\xi^n[/itex], is it?

I have tried the following for now and have reached an impasse. I still have x's and xi's in my integral that I don't know what to so with:

SCN_0001.jpg

Saladsamurai said:
I have tried the following for now and have reached an impasse. I still have x's and xi's in my integral that I don't know what to so with:

You didn't finish the substitution.
There's still a xi in the integral that needs to be replaced.

Furthermore, boundaries of your integral have changed to [0, 1], meaning x is no longer part of the integral, which means in turn that you can move all x out of the integral.

In other words.

From your definition of z follows:

[tex]\xi = x z^{\frac 4 3}[/tex]

Substituting gives:

[tex]\frac 4 3 \sum n a_n \int_0^1 (1-z)^{\frac {-1} 3} (x z^{\frac 4 3})^n x z^{\frac 1 3} dz
= \frac 4 3 \sum n a_n x^{n+1} \int_0^1 \frac {z^{\frac 4 3 n + \frac 1 3}} {(1 - z)^{\frac 1 3}} dz[/tex]

1. What is an integral and why is it important in science?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is important in science because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume, which are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use a technique called integration, which is the inverse operation of differentiation. There are different methods for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand the fundamental principles of integration and practice solving various types of integrals to become proficient in solving them.

3. What are some practical applications of integrals in science?

Integrals have a wide range of applications in science, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to calculate work, energy, and power in physics, to model and analyze systems in engineering, to measure changes in economic quantities over time, and to study growth and decay in biological populations.

4. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Choosing the appropriate integration technique depends on the form of the integral. Some integrals can be solved using more than one technique, while others require a specific method. It is important to practice solving integrals using different techniques and to recognize patterns in the integrand to determine the most efficient method for solving it.

5. Can integrals be solved using a calculator or computer?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools that can solve integrals numerically. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration, as well as the limitations of numerical methods. In some cases, analytical solutions may be necessary to accurately represent a physical system.