How to derive the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire. One person mentions trying to follow the derivation of the harmonic oscillator, but is having trouble finding an expression similar to the one shown. Another person asks if the book explicitly gives a Hamiltonian for the particles in the wire and if they know how to incorporate a Magnetic Vector Potential into the Hamiltonian. The conversation then goes on to discuss the equation for the energy of the parabolic potential and how it can be related to a 2D SHO. It is suggested to use the definitions given in the book and to introduce an expression for the wave function u(x) to solve for the energy. The conversation ends with clarification on using V
john chen
Hi all,

How to derive the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire as shown below? I tried to follow the derivation of the harmonic, oscillator like we did for the quantum well and the magnetic field but i can't find anything that has an expression that come close to the one shown below.

where

I really have no idea how to start and i really appreciate if anybody is willing to guide me or help me. Thanks...

Attachments

• 1555344590991.png
    1555344590991.png
    740 bytes · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Did the book explicitly give a hamiltonian for the particles in the wire?

Do you know how to incorporate a Magnetic Vector Potential into the Hamiltonian?

Hi all, thanks for replying! @stevendaryl The book doesn't really give a hamiltonian for the particles in the wire but its gives a SHO equation in landau gauge which gains confining potential
which I am not sure can it be used in pkace of that?

@hutchphd I have never done anything related to magnetic vector potential into hamiltonian so far so if is really needed, i would like to know how is it done..Anyways the link to the equation for energy of confining parabolic potential can be found in this link http://macbeth.if.usp.br/~gusev/Davies.pdf page 249, equation 6.53

john chen said:
@hutchphd I have never done anything related to magnetic vector potential into hamiltonian so far so if is really needed, i would like to know how is it done..
I see that he gives you the form for the parabolic"magnetic" confinement just before 6.53 so you don't really need to go to Vector potential (any quantum text will have it if you are interested). So put that into V(x) in 6.52 and regroup terms using the definitions immediately after 6.53. It should then look like the 2D SHO in directions perpendicular to wire axis. Therefore you can write down the eigenvalues using these new definitions which contain the parameter B to obtain 6.53. The k is along the wire axis

Last edited:
@hutchphd @stevendaryl So is V(x) = mw0x^2/2 or the one that is circled in blue below equation 6.52? Because I went to spend a few hours using V(x) = mw0x^2/2 into equation 6.52
but to no avail I can't link it to the definitions
1555344672555-png.png

And do I have to introduce an expression for wave function u(x) to solve for the energy of confining parabolic potential?

john chen said:
1555397422964-png.png
Yes he does redefine the zero point for x as you point out ( I missed that), express the potential using (x-xk ) and consolidate terms.

john chen said:
And do I have to introduce an expression for wave function u(x) to solve for the energy of confining parabolic potential?
You need only to then say "hey, this is exactly a SHO Hamiltonian with a redefined origin for x and a funny mass etc" and write down the known corresponding solution for whatever you need.

@hutchphd ah I see, so I do still use V(x) = mw0x^2/2 for equation 6.52? Anyways thanks for helping, really appreciate!

john chen said:
@hutchphd ah I see, so I do still use V(x) = mw0x^2/2 for equation 6.52? Anyways thanks for helping, really appreciate!
It should be quadratic in (x-xk) and expressed using w0 I think. You can make it work.

1. How does a parabolic confining potential affect the energy of a wire?

A parabolic confining potential in a wire refers to a potential energy function that is shaped like a parabola, with the lowest point being at the center of the wire. This potential creates a force that pushes the particles towards the center, resulting in a higher energy state for the particles near the center of the wire.

2. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire?

The energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire can be calculated using the formula E = ½ mω²x², where E is the energy, m is the mass of the particle, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the distance from the center of the wire.

3. How does the strength of the parabolic confining potential affect the energy of the wire?

The strength of the parabolic confining potential, represented by ω, directly affects the energy of the wire. A higher ω value results in a steeper parabolic potential, leading to a higher energy state for the particles in the wire.

4. Can the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire be negative?

Yes, the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire can be negative. This occurs when the particles in the wire are located at a distance greater than the center, resulting in a negative value for x in the energy formula.

5. How can the energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire be experimentally measured?

The energy of a parabolic confining potential in a wire can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as tunneling spectroscopy or scanning tunneling microscopy. These methods involve measuring the energy levels of the particles in the wire and using the energy formula to calculate the energy of the potential.