Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to design home use wacky talky circuit on breadboard?

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
    I want to design a simple home use electronic wacky talky.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean walkie-talkie, not wacky talkie.

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think "wacky" is a phonetic representation of the way it's said in 'American' speech. In English English it's said more like "wall key tall key".

I would suggest that pmostafa looks at sites selling simple electronics project kits. In the UK, Maplin, for example, sell all sorts of easy to build kits.
    Using actual Radio Communication can be a bit problematical because there are regulations about what you are actually allowed to transmit - also, radio circuitry is fairly sophisticated, even in its most simple forms, and would be a difficult thing to start with. Start with something much more simple - like a system that uses wires, between rooms.

5. Sep 27, 2014 #4
    I remember as a kid playing with walkie talkies that had only 3 or 4 transistors. Try google "4 transistor walkie talkie". They're pretty simple and low power enough to meet regulations. I was surprised to find that you can still buy them pretty cheap also.

6. Sep 28, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry, Sophiecentaur, but no. 'Wacky talky' sounds in Amurrican English exactly as it sounds in English English (wacky, that is).

The portable hand-held radio transceiver is called a 'walkie talkie'. After all, the first Walkie Talkie was developed by the Galvin Mfg. Co. (later called Motorola) for the US Army, and it was a radio carried by a soldier in a back-pack. The device which everyone now calls a 'walkie-talkie' was originally known as a 'handie-talkie', because it was miniaturized enough to be held in one's hand like a telephone receiver, if anyone is still familiar with those devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie

Walkie talkies can be built by hobbyists as long as they don't transmit on frequencies reserved for other devices. There are some parts of the RF spectrum in the US and Europe which are reserved for non-licensed transmitters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook