How to Determine Group from Commutation Relations?

In summary: You can try exponentiating the generators to see if they form a Lie group. If they do, then the group is probably SO(3). If not, then you'll need to adjust the generators or look for a different group.
geoduck
Is there a way to determine the group from the commutation relations?

For example, the commutation relations:

[itex][J_x,J_y]=i\sqrt{2} J_z [/itex]
[itex][J_y,J_z]=\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} J_x [/itex]
[itex][J_z,J_x]=i\sqrt{2} J_y [/itex]

is actually SO(3), as can be seen by redefining [itex]J'_x =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} J_x [/itex]: then [itex]J'_x [/itex], [itex]J_y [/itex] and [itex]J_z [/itex] have the SO(3) algebra. So the commutation relations above is SO(3). But how do we know that just by looking at it?

When you start taking linear combinations of generators, including sometimes with complex coefficients as in [itex] J_x+iJ_y[/itex], how can you tell the resulting commutators are SO(3)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see if the <algebra closes>, in other words, if you want to have a Lie algebra, you need to have some requirements there: Leibniz derivation + Jacobi identity. If they fail, then the generators need to be adjusted (by rescaling or by considering linear combinations of them). Then you'll get the Lie algebra. By exponentiation, you get the connected component of the Lie group which is at least locally isomorphic to the Lie group you're really after.

Likes vanhees71
dextercioby said:
You can see if the <algebra closes>, in other words, if you want to have a Lie algebra, you need to have some requirements there: Leibniz derivation + Jacobi identity. If they fail, then the generators need to be adjusted (by rescaling or by considering linear combinations of them). Then you'll get the Lie algebra. By exponentiation, you get the connected component of the Lie group which is at least locally isomorphic to the Lie group you're really after.

Can Jacobi Identity and Leibniz derivation alone tell you what group it is?

For example, take the SO(3) commutation relations. If you change [Jx,Jy]=iJz to [Jx,Jy]=-iJz and leave all other commutators the same, then I think you get something like SO(2,1) rather than SO(3). SO(2,1) would still obey things like the Jacobi identity.

So if I have 3 generators and 3 commutation relations, how do I know what group these generators belong to when you can always rescale and take linear combinations?

1. What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical statements that describe the relationship between two operators in a quantum system. They determine how the operators will behave when they are applied to a specific state or wavefunction.

2. How do commutation relations help determine group structure?

Commutation relations provide information about how operators interact with each other, which can reveal symmetry properties of the system. By analyzing these relationships, we can determine the group structure of the system and understand its underlying symmetries.

3. Can commutation relations be used to classify different types of groups?

Yes, commutation relations can be used to classify groups into different types, such as Abelian, non-Abelian, and Lie groups. This classification is based on the properties of the commutation relations between the group's operators.

4. How does one determine the group from commutation relations in practice?

To determine the group from commutation relations, one must first write down the commutation relations between the operators in the system. Then, using group theory techniques, such as representation theory, one can analyze the relationships and identify the group structure.

5. Are there other methods for determining group structure besides commutation relations?

Yes, there are other methods for determining group structure, such as character tables, which involve analyzing the symmetry properties of a system's operators. However, commutation relations are a powerful tool in understanding group structure and are often used in combination with other techniques.