How Can I Create a Text File Analyser in C Program?

• Thread starter sunny86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the creation of a C program that can analyze and merge text files. The program should provide statistics for various items such as alphabetical letters, characters, words, lines of text, and paragraphs. The user is prompted to select an option from a menu, either merging two text files or obtaining statistics for a single file. The program should then prompt for the necessary file names and output the desired statistics.
sunny86
How to do this problem ??

Write a complete C program that can be used as a text file analyser. The analyser program should be able to combine two text files and provide the statistics of the following items in a text file: number of alphabetical letters (A to Z and a to z), characters (without spaces), characters (with spaces), words, lines of text, and paragraphs. The text files (e.g. filename.txt, filename.c or filename.dat created using MS DOS Editor or MS Notepad) should contain English words, and each paragraph is separated by a blank line.

When the program is run, the user is prompted to select an option from a menu as shown below:
Menu
1. Merging two text files
2. Obtain the statistics of a text file

If option 1 is selected, then the following prompts appear:

Enter the names of the two files to be merged: filename1.txt filename2.txt
Enter the name of the merged file: filename3.txt

If option 2 is selected, then the following prompt appears:

Enter the name of the file to be analysed: filename3.txt

An example output of the option 2 is as below:

filename3.txt
Alphabetical letters 100
Characters (without spaces) 120
Characters (with spaces) 200
Words 30
Lines of text 5
Paragraphs 2

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you expect us to flat out give you the code? Where is your attempt at the problem?

To do this problem, you will need to follow these steps:

1. First, create a new C program file in your preferred text editor (e.g. Visual Studio Code, Notepad++, etc.).
2. Copy and paste the given code above into your new program file.
3. Save the file with a suitable name (e.g. text_analyser.c).
4. Compile and run the program to ensure it is working correctly.
5. Read through the code and understand how it works. If you have any questions, do some research or consult with a programming expert.
6. To merge two text files, select option 1 from the menu and follow the prompts to enter the names of the two files to be merged and the name of the merged file.
7. To obtain the statistics of a text file, select option 2 from the menu and follow the prompt to enter the name of the file to be analysed.
8. Once the program has finished running, the statistics of the selected text file will be displayed.
9. You can modify the code to suit your needs or add additional features as desired.
10. Remember to save your changes and recompile the program to see the updated results.

1. How do I approach this problem?

To approach a problem, it is important to read the question carefully and understand the given information. Then, determine what is being asked and what steps you need to take to reach the solution. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. You can also try solving a similar problem or looking for resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or asking a classmate or teacher for help.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can double check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also check your calculations and reasoning to make sure they are accurate.

4. What are some tips for solving problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving problems more efficiently include organizing the given information, using relevant formulas or equations, and trying different approaches if one method does not work. It can also be helpful to practice and improve your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice solving different types of problems, seek guidance from experts, and reflect on your thought process when solving a problem. You can also try to think outside the box and approach problems from different angles.