How to Enable Duplex Printing on Linux Printer Properties

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a printer to print on both sides. The speaker is having trouble accessing the printer properties and is wondering if they need to re-configure it using the terminal. They are running Fedora 11 and are not the ones who originally configured the printer. The printer is an hp laserjet, but the model number is unknown. The speaker is advised to find out the model number and to make sure the -Zduplex option is included in the printing command when using programs like Firefox or Acrobat Reader. The command for duplex printing from the command line is also provided as "lpr -Zduplex filetorprint.pdf".
Izaak
I need to set up the printer so it will print on both sides but when I go into System/Administration/Printing and click on the Printer tab and click properties, nothing happens. Am I supposed to re-configure it using the terminal? What should I do?

I am running Fedora 11
(I'm not the one who configured the printer)

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of printer is it exactly?

hp laserjet, I do not know the model number

Can you find out?

If you're printing from the command line the way to tell it to do duplex printing is
lpr -Zduplex filetorprint.pdf

I think most programs (e.g., firefox, acrobat reader) let you edit the printing command they use, so just make sure the -Zduplex option is in there.

Related to How to Enable Duplex Printing on Linux Printer Properties

1. What is CUPS?

CUPS stands for Common Unix Printing System and is the default printing system used in most Linux distributions. It provides a modular printing system for managing local and network printers.

2. How do I access printer properties on Linux?

To access printer properties on Linux, you can use the CUPS web interface by entering "localhost:631" in your web browser. Alternatively, you can use the command line tool "lpadmin" to manage printer properties.

3. Can I set default printer properties for all users on the system?

Yes, you can set default printer properties for all users by editing the "printers.conf" file located in the CUPS configuration directory. You can also use the "lpadmin" command with the "-p" option to set default properties for a specific printer.

4. How can I check the status of my printer on Linux?

You can check the status of your printer on Linux by using the "lpstat" command. This will display information such as the printer name, job ID, and status of any print jobs currently in the queue.

5. Can I add a network printer on Linux?

Yes, you can add a network printer on Linux by using the CUPS web interface or the "lpadmin" command. Make sure the printer is connected to the network and that you have the necessary drivers installed on your system.