How to estimate a function that fit well with a curve

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for curve fitting and the limitations of using a polynomial function. The speaker suggests using LOESS or parametric cubic polynomials for better results. A link to an Excel add-in with LOESS capability is also provided.
gibnem
hello
somme one know how to get the function that fit well with a curve
following is my curve:
[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5885/tempdepth.png

thx..:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOESS" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh it could be...

i could create a function that fit very well withe that graph just in excel with a fourth polynomiale and i get the numerical expresion
but withe some other graphe with more variation the polynomiale function don't fit very good so I'm looking if i can found a softwar thar use other methodes (moving average, exp, or a mix of this methodes) to get a better curve fitting)

A polynomial is not going to deal well with either the nearly vertical part at high depths, or the nearly horizontal part at low depths. You might be able to fix that with an appropriate coordinate transformation, but a generic method like LOESS will likely produce better results with less effort.

Here is a link to an Excel add-in that claims to have LOESS capability.

http://www.fileguru.com/Data-Curve-Fit-Creator-Add-in/download

If I were doing this I'd consider some form of parametric cubic polynomials (e.g. Bezier) because they can handle vertical slopes.

Last edited:
oooh thank you hotvette
that give a really a very very good fitting

1. How do I choose the right function to fit a curve?

Choosing the right function to fit a curve depends on the specific data you are working with. It is important to consider the shape of the data and any underlying patterns. Commonly used functions for curve fitting include linear, polynomial, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

2. What is the best method for estimating a function that fits well with a curve?

The best method for estimating a function that fits well with a curve depends on the data and the specific problem you are trying to solve. Some common methods include the least squares method, maximum likelihood estimation, and nonlinear regression.

3. Can I use software to estimate a function that fits well with a curve?

Yes, there are many software programs and tools available that can help with estimating a function that fits well with a curve. Some examples include Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, and Python libraries such as NumPy and SciPy.

4. How do I know if the estimated function is a good fit for the curve?

To determine if the estimated function is a good fit for the curve, you can evaluate the residuals (the difference between the actual data points and the predicted values from the estimated function). A smaller residual indicates a better fit.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating a function that fits well with a curve?

Yes, there are some limitations to estimating a function that fits well with a curve. These include the possibility of overfitting (when the function fits the data too closely and may not accurately predict future values) and the inherent uncertainty in any estimation process.