How to evaluate this infinite series?

In summary, somebody has tried to adapt the Riemann integral theorem and the laplace transform, but has not been successful. They need to find the inverse laplace transform of e^n/(e^n+1)^(a-1) to continue the series.
ludwig.van
Hello,

Could anybody help with this series:

$\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^n/(e^n+1)^{a-1},\,\, a>2. $

I tried (without success) to adapt the Riemann integral theorem and the laplace transform.

For the latest, I will need to find the inverse laplace transform of $e^n/(e^n+1)^(a-1)$, which does not seem so straightforward.

Any ideas? thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ludwig.van said:
Hello,

Could anybody help with this series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^n/(e^n+1)^(a-1),\,\, a>2.[/tex]

I tried (without success) to adapt the Riemann integral theorem and the laplace transform.

For the latest, I will need to find the inverse laplace transform of [tex]e^n/(e^n+1)^(a-1)[/tex], which does not seem so straightforward.

Any ideas? thanks.

You need to use tex and /tex tags instead of dollar signs (I added them here so that other people can read the formula easily). Is it supposed to be this in the summation:
[tex]\frac{e^n}{(e^n+1)^{a-1}}[/tex]

Hi Guys,

Is this series really difficult, has anybody tried to evaluate it?

I've tried some ideas but without success:

1) using the laplace transform to evaluate summation (likewise: http://mathdl.maa.org/images/cms_upload/A_Laplace_Transform18380.pdf)

The problem is that in this case I need to find the inverse laplace transform of [TeX] \frac{e^s}{(e^s+1)^{a-1}} [/TeX]. Any ideas of how to find this inverse laplace transform?

2) using the Riemann integral theorem (that is: http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/~matngtb/Calculus/Riemannsum/Riemannsum.htm ).

I couldn't adjust the terms in order to apply the theorem. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think there is a simple way to write this sum?
For most sums, there isn't.

For [itex] a= 3 [/itex] I got something hideous involving q-digamma functions (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/q-PolygammaFunction.html). For higher fixed integers a=4, 5,6 ... it should be possible to compute them with a similar calculation with some additional differentiations of the sums, but I'd imagine finding a general formula for arbitrary integers > 2 would be difficult to find. If you could find that though, you could conclude it holds for all complex s with real part greater than 2 (by uniqueness of meromorphic continuation).

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite number of terms. It is typically written in the form of a sum, where each term is added to the previous one.

2. How do you evaluate an infinite series?

To evaluate an infinite series, you need to find the sum of all the terms in the series. This can be done by using various techniques, such as the geometric series test, the telescoping series test, or the ratio test.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating an infinite series?

The purpose of evaluating an infinite series is to determine whether the series converges (has a finite sum) or diverges (has an infinite sum). This is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in finding the solution to certain equations or in approximating values.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series has a finite sum, meaning that the terms in the series eventually approach a fixed value. On the other hand, a divergent infinite series has an infinite sum, meaning that the terms in the series do not approach a fixed value and the sum of the series goes to infinity.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating infinite series?

Some common techniques for evaluating infinite series include the geometric series test, which applies to series with a common ratio between terms, and the telescoping series test, which involves canceling out terms to simplify the series. Other techniques include the ratio test, the integral test, and the comparison test.