How to express vector in sigma notation

In summary, the conversation discussed how a vector A can be expressed in sigma notation as ∑ Ai where i runs from 1 to 3, with A1 representing the x coordinate, A2 representing the y coordinate, and A3 representing the z coordinate. The use of basis vectors er, eθ, and eφ was also mentioned, with each having a length dimension and being used to express the components of a vector in the directions of increasing r, θ, and φ, respectively.
reckon
A vector A, can be expressed in sigma notation as
[tex]\sum[/tex] Ai where i runs from 1 to 3, i.e. A1 for x coordinate, A2 for y coordinate and A3 for z coordinate.

I wonder how to express vector A in polar form using sigma notation. Could anyone share their knowledge to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi reckon ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ :wink:)
reckon said:
A vector A, can be expressed in sigma notation as
[tex]\sum[/tex] Ai where i runs from 1 to 3, i.e. A1 for x coordinate, A2 for y coordinate and A3 for z coordinate.

No, it's ∑ Aiei, where the {ei} are basis vectors.
I wonder how to express vector A in polar form using sigma notation. Could anyone share their knowledge to me?

You'd need to use the basis vectors er eθ and eφ.

But these are different at each point, and at the origin they aren't even defined.

Hahaha.. thanks tiny-tim for ∑ and you even provided with "for copying-pasting" in your signature.

But I'm still a bit unsure because for eθ eφ, we only have angle which doesn't have dimension, isn't it? Can we make them as component of a vector?

A=rer + θeθ + φeφ
where r have length dimension while θ and φ have no dimension?

Hi reckon! :smile:
reckon said:
But I'm still a bit unsure because for eθ eφ, we only have angle which doesn't have dimension, isn't it? Can we make them as component of a vector?

A=rer + θeθ + φeφ
where r have length dimension while θ and φ have no dimension?

ah … you obviously haven't come across these before …

no, er eθ and eφ are all unit vectors (with magnitude one), in the directions of increasing r, increasing θ, and increasing φ, respectively …

so they all have length dimension.

(it is traditional to use the symbol e for unit vectors)

A vector starting at the position (r,θ,φ) will be written as aer + beθ + ceφ, and a b and c have nothing to do with (r,θ,φ), they are simply the components of the vector in each of the three (perpendicular) directions. :smile:

(this would be easier to follow with a diagram, but unfortunately, I can't find a good one, in wikipedia or anywhere else :redface:)

Expressing a vector in polar form using sigma notation can be done by converting the vector's components from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to polar coordinates (r, θ, φ). The sigma notation would then be \sum Ai where i runs from 1 to 3, with A1 representing the magnitude (r), A2 representing the angle in the xy-plane (θ), and A3 representing the angle from the z-axis (φ). This representation can also be written as A = \sum Ar(cosθ, sinθ, cosφ, sinφ). It is important to note that the angle θ is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, and φ is measured from the positive z-axis. I hope this helps in your understanding of expressing a vector in polar form using sigma notation.

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand used to express the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and includes a variable, a starting value, an ending value, and an expression to be evaluated for each value of the variable.

2. How do I express a vector in sigma notation?

To express a vector in sigma notation, you would first need to identify the sequence of numbers within the vector. Then, you would use the sigma notation format with the variable representing the position of each number in the sequence. For example, if the vector is [3, 5, 7, 9], the sigma notation would be Σxi where xi represents each number in the sequence.

3. What are the benefits of using sigma notation to express a vector?

Sigma notation allows for a concise and organized representation of a vector. It also makes it easier to perform calculations on the vector since the expression to be evaluated is clearly defined for each value of the variable.

4. Can sigma notation be used for vectors with more than one dimension?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for vectors with multiple dimensions. In this case, the variable would represent the position of each number in each dimension. For example, if the vector is [ [3, 5], [7, 9] ], the sigma notation would be Σxij where i represents the position in the first dimension and j represents the position in the second dimension.

5. Are there any other notations that can be used to express vectors?

Yes, there are other notations, such as dot notation and matrix notation, that can be used to express vectors. However, sigma notation is the most commonly used notation for expressing vectors as it is more concise and allows for easier calculations.