How to find derivative to a function

In summary, a new member named John is seeking help with solving an equation involving the function F(x)=x√1-x. They are asked for more information and clarification on the equation and are reminded to post their own work and use the provided template when starting a new thread.
cldance5678
Hi,
I am new to the forum and having a problem solving this equation any help would be apprehended.

The problem is F(x)=X√1-x
Need to find derivative then absolute min and max.

P.S please let me know if i am posting the right way.

Thanks
John

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey John, Welcome to physicsforums!
In this Forum, the idea is to give a good attempt at the problem, and write down your working, and if you don't manage to get to the right answer, then people offer advice. So we definitely need more information on what you are getting stuck with in this problem. Also, is the function mean to be: [itex]x \sqrt{1-x} [/itex] I wasn't sure if that big X was meant to be a different variable, or the same as the little x ?

cldance5678 said:
Hi,
I am new to the forum and having a problem solving this equation any help would be apprehended.

The problem is F(x)=X√1-x
Need to find derivative then absolute min and max.

P.S please let me know if i am posting the right way.

Thanks
John
Assuming that you meant ##x\sqrt{1-x}##, you will need to use the product rule: ##(fg)'(x)=f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)##.

This is really all we can tell you at this point. We will only offer hints, not complete solutions. You are also expected to post your work up to the point where you get stuck. When you start a new thread, you should use the template that's provided for you. (If you preview, another copy of the template is inserted. This is a known bug that we don't know how to fix. So you will just have to delete the extra template).

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph.

2. Why is it important to find the derivative of a function?

The derivative allows us to analyze the behavior of a function, such as determining its maximum and minimum values, and understanding how it changes over time. It is also used in various applications, such as physics and economics.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to express the derivative as a simplified algebraic expression.

4. What information does the derivative provide about a function?

The derivative can provide information about the slope of a function at a specific point, the direction of the function's change, and the rate of change of the function at that point. It can also help us determine the concavity of a function and its critical points.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

In most cases, yes. However, there are some cases where a function may not be differentiable, such as at sharp corners or discontinuities. In these cases, the derivative does not exist. But for most continuous functions, the derivative can be found using the rules of differentiation.