Finding Electric Potential Gradient in 3D FEM Mesh

In summary, the electric potential at a node in a 3d finite element mesh can be approximated by a bilinear function. The gradient of this function can be calculated using the element shape functions, and this information can be used to calculate the current density at that node. If you don't want discontinuities in the solution, you can use a different variational principle to form the elements.
Stacky
Hello,
The value of electric potential(∅) is known at every node in a 3d finite element mesh. The relation between electric current density(i) and electric potential(∅) is i=k.∇∅, I am writing a code in c, I want to know how to find the gradient of electric potential(∇∅) at every node so as to get current density(i). Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If we subscript the nodes using i,j,k then the bilinear approximation would be,

[tex] J_x = \frac{\sigma}{2 \Delta} \left[ V_{(i-1),j,k} - V_{(i+1),j,k} \right] [/tex]

and similarly for the y and z components.

The OP said a finite element mesh. The previous answer looks more appropriate for a regular finite differnce mesh, not an FE mesh with arbitrary geometry.

You can calculate the gradient at each node of each element using the element shape functions. (This will be similar, but simpler, than calculating strains from displacements in a structural FE program).

The problem is that the only output that is consistent with the FE method is gradient averaged over the volume of each element. When several elements meet at a node, you will get a different gradient value at the node for each of the elements.

If you just want to plot the data you can do something fairly simple, for example average of the different nodal values (possibly weighted by the volume of the elements). Or you can use the difference between the element values at each node as a measure of the accuracy of the solution.

If you want to do some mathematical post processing using the gradients, it would be better to do it based on the value within the volume of each element, rather than some more or less arbitrary nodal averaging method.

Ok, it looks like I was over-simplifying it by assuming it was a rectangular grid.

BTW Stacky. The electric field is [itex]E = - \nabla \phi[/itex], so it should be [itex]J = - \sigma (\nabla \phi)[/itex]

Method suggested by uart is correct, but it suits a regular structured rectangular mesh. Because I am dealing with unstructured mesh, I would prefer to use the method proposed by AlphaZero. Thanks both for their inputs.
Neverthless in strict sense ∇∅ is an elemental solution and we need to use some averaging method to calculate its value at nodes.

Stacky said:
Neverthless in strict sense ∇∅ is an elemental solution and we need to use some averaging method to calculate its value at nodes.

I would rephrase that as "the FE approximation for ∇∅ is discontinuous across the element boundaries". Whether you "need" to get rid of the discontinuities depends what you want to use the solution for.

If you really don't want discontinuities, you could formulate an element with a different variational principle so the gradients are nodal variables. That has been done for structural analysis (but few people actually use those element formulations). I don't have any hands-on experiemnce of FE methods in electromagnetism and I don't know what the state of the art is in that field.

1. How is electric potential gradient calculated in 3D FEM mesh?

The electric potential gradient in 3D FEM mesh is calculated by taking the gradient of the electric potential values at each node in the mesh. This involves calculating the change in potential in the x, y, and z directions and combining them to determine the overall gradient.

2. What is the significance of finding electric potential gradient in 3D FEM mesh?

Finding the electric potential gradient in 3D FEM mesh is important for understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex 3D systems. It allows for the analysis and optimization of electric field distribution, which is crucial in various applications such as electronic devices and power systems.

3. Can the electric potential gradient be calculated at any point in the 3D FEM mesh?

Yes, the electric potential gradient can be calculated at any point in the 3D FEM mesh. This is because the gradient is a continuous function and can be calculated at any point where the electric potential values are known.

4. What are the limitations of using 3D FEM mesh to calculate electric potential gradient?

One limitation of using 3D FEM mesh to calculate electric potential gradient is the computational resources required. As the mesh becomes more complex, the calculations become more computationally intensive. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may also be affected by the quality and size of the mesh.

5. Are there any other methods for finding electric potential gradient besides using 3D FEM mesh?

Yes, there are other methods for finding electric potential gradient such as analytical solutions, finite difference methods, and boundary element methods. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of problems or when dealing with simpler geometries.